The Merchant Royal was in port in Cadiz when it learned of a Spanish ship that was overburdened with this treasure.

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
If the royall merchant was found how would the gold and silver be recovered
It depends on topography of sea floor. We do not know what challenges the wreck site poses? For example sand silt or mud or on rock. How deeply buried the wreck is in the sea floor. How large the debris field is? All of these plus wind tide and currents are all tied into a salvage operation.

The first course of action at wreck site in photo survey the wreck site to determine the extent of debris field. working to grid pattern. Ballast stones anchors and cannon generally cluster and heavy cargo will be vicinity of such objects. The first task is to determine this is correct vessel. by obtaining objects that can de dated.

The site is most likely out of the depth range for physical diving. So recover would be done by remote control rovs. some fitted with scoop or pincers. conveyed to an independent mesh basket connected to the mother ship (Salvage Ship) And a system to blow away sand and silt.

Please note it is painstakingly slow process but not as destructive as smash and grab bucket methods.

Crow

enrada

May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Merchant Royal then sank off the coast in Cornwall, England. Taking the gold and riches to the bottom of the ocean. For centuries its location has remained a mystery, until last year when a fishing boat found the first clue.
The unfound shipwreck is one of the most lucrative shipwreck in history.

Isn't there a moderator on Treasurenet that can ban time wasting videos like this.

P4L

Tenderfoot
Apr 30, 2024
It depends on topography of sea floor. We do not know what challenges the wreck site poses? For example sand silt or mud or on rock. How deeply buried the wreck is in the sea floor. How large the debris field is? All of these plus wind tide and currents are all tied into a salvage operation.

The first course of action at wreck site in photo survey the wreck site to determine the extent of debris field. working to grid pattern. Ballast stones anchors and cannon generally cluster and heavy cargo will be vicinity of such objects. The first task is to determine this is correct vessel. by obtaining objects that can de dated.

The site is most likely out of the depth range for physical diving. So recover would be done by remote control rovs. some fitted with scoop or pincers. conveyed to an independent mesh basket connected to the mother ship (Salvage Ship) And a system to blow away sand and silt.

Please note it is painstakingly slow process but not as destructive as smash and grab bucket methods.

Crow
Yes rovs would be the safe thing but with the right equipment and properly trained people a physical dive would be possible correct

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
It's said to be 300 ft but how would they know if they don't know where the ship is
Personally I suspect its just media hype. there are 37000 shipwrecks around the British isles. The English channel alone has 1100 WW1 shipwrecks. And there are many remains of 16th, 17th , 18th and 19th century shipwrecks that look the same. It is only by detailed study and examination they could possible determine an age of a wreck. Even so it is notoriously hard to prove the name of vessel in question on a shipwreck site.

So for me I would be a little weary of such claims until it has really been found with evidence to prove such claims.

Crow

May 2, 2024
do you mind sharing your theory with us now
The merchant royal was leaking badly already upon arrival in Cádiz.. Limbrey as a seasoned sailor would have known they were likely to face swell in the English Channel, he was also known to be a greedy cunning entrepreneurial so and so who was always looking to make a solid payday.. the gold was supposedly placed on the merchant royal.. but why would he place that much gold in the trust of a ship he would have known likely would struggle to make the long haul home.. unless that’s what he wanted everyone to think he’d done.. the Dover and the Royal took different routes on the way up the coast to the bottleneck at Cornwall.. the Dover specifically noted to have been in calmer waters.. they didn’t meet again until the royal got into difficulty off lands end.. where she took limbrey and the crew off supposedly in a rescue.. I think that was the plan.. I think the gold was always on the Dover.. I think limbrey found himself with the perfect opportunity to deceive everyone and took it. I think he put the gold on the sister to the royal sent her home through calmer waters knowing the damaged royal being captained by him to complete his convincing ruse would likely be taken to the deep somewhere on the way, with everyone but him and the crew certain she had the gold on board.. while he made away aboard the Dover

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The merchant royal was leaking badly already upon arrival in Cádiz.. Limbrey as a seasoned sailor would have known they were likely to face swell in the English Channel, he was also known to be a greedy cunning entrepreneurial so and so who was always looking to make a solid payday.. the gold was supposedly placed on the merchant royal.. but why would he place that much gold in the trust of a ship he would have known likely would struggle to make the long haul home.. unless that’s what he wanted everyone to think he’d done.. the Dover and the Royal took different routes on the way up the coast to the bottleneck at Cornwall.. the Dover specifically noted to have been in calmer waters.. they didn’t meet again until the royal got into difficulty off lands end.. where she took limbrey and the crew off supposedly in a rescue.. I think that was the plan.. I think the gold was always on the Dover.. I think limbrey found himself with the perfect opportunity to deceive everyone and took it. I think he put the gold on the sister to the royal sent her home through calmer waters knowing the damaged royal being captained by him to complete his convincing ruse would likely be taken to the deep somewhere on the way, with everyone but him and the crew certain she had the gold on board.. while he made away aboard the Dover
So he said they lost it when it was really transferred to the Dover and he kept it?

P4L

Tenderfoot
Apr 30, 2024
well that makes sense i dont see any logical reason that they would keep the gold on that ship with them knowing it was leaking that bad

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
well that makes sense i dont see any logical reason that they would keep the gold on that ship with them knowing it was leaking that bad
Hello p4l

I like the hypothesis. It was good question to ask? I have no doubt fraud of that type went on as there has been cases over the centuries of similar things happening. However it is just interesting speculation.

However I have two issues that suggest that was not the case that John Lymbery committed any such fraud. Other than him being a shipwreck survivor.

One : see the excellent post by Smith and Brown on the following court case after the loss of the Merchant Royal

Langham and Al. And Lymbery and Al.

"The Answer of Captain John Lymbery, Arnold Brames, and John Cradocke, to the Petition of Sir John Cordell Knight Alderman of London, John Langham Alderman, and others.

In short there was court case in which Lymbery captain of the merchant Royal states 10000 pounds claimed would wipe him out lucky to have one grout ( 4 shillings ) No quite the man that just had plundered a fabulous treasure that was supposedly worth one third of the English exchequer?

Two He died 20 years later in 1861 at lime house he was living at Middlesex ( note Note London ) and ( Note once again 16th century spelling of the time was also known as Lumhouse ) I have found Captain John Lymbery's will. (Note: Some times spelt as Limbery. same pronunciation ) When he died he left money and property to his four sons John, William, Walter, Samuel and four daughters Rebecca, Jane, Ann, Elisabeth and his wife. 50 Pounds to his sons each to 20 pounds his daughters. So 280 pounds not even remotely close to even to said value of merchant Royal and lease agreement.

Here is the Will below. Source: England and Wales, Prerogative court of Canterbury Wills, 1384 -1858

john limbery will.JPG

Lumehouse also known as lime house. Here is a map from the 17th century below. There was originally a line kiln on the banks of river Thames. London.

Limehouse-Hole-Stairs-21-1024x846.jpg
One of his sons died in 1675 also name John was listed as a mariner.

on the 1746 mention is more clarity of the place where Captain John Limbery lived at Lime house London.
lime house 1746 map.JPG

Today the location has changed beyond recognition as to what was there in the 17th century.

So in essence the claim that Captain John Limbery or its spelling variation Lymbery robbed a fortune through sinking the merchant royal and placing the treasure on the Dover merchant is just groundless speculation. The court case and Will, show no signs of huge financial benefit from the loss of Merchant Royal.

Crow

Last edited:

Magoopeter

Jan 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
underwater
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
No cant share just yet, still need to do more reasearch, Crow is right he was an honest man even went on to have a postion representing the shipping companies in london, one of which he was owner.
I managed to get the origanal story of the American mention of the merchant Royall your are 100% right in what you said.

Reactions: ARC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread