The "Moderization" of what use to be my hunting areas "where is a place to hunt"

rljehart

Aug 25, 2005
The "Moderization" of what use to be my hunting areas "where is a place to hunt"

The people i am "aquainted" with know i have been detecting for years -aquire a detector --usually a newbie who just got his "ace 250" . The number one question "where do you go hunt " (of course i really dont want to give away any area that i would want to hunt 1st). To answer polite and truthful "well you can try the local parks" or some area i know where they can safely putter around --- ----------- of course they are looking for more detailed answer.-- they are kinda bewildered

I live in North Central Texas Denton County Texas hunt mostly private property or old business areas . Rapid suburban sprawl is taking over -- the older vacant business , churches and homesteads that i hunted since my Teknetics Mark 1 days in the mid 80s -- are giving away large housing developments , apartments and other business --- that ol cow pasture with the turn of the century farmhouse is basically gone . Which only leaves me a few days to detect a site before the new construction goes up -looks like all the surroundings are getting "modernized" Texas --especially the DFW metroplex is becoming the new "California" --old maps are getting useless --what use to be there isnt.

I have to do more research and travel farther to find an area -but with my what i consider "lack of decent finds" basically says this are has been hunted . That leaves the lake beaches which "replenish" themselves but i dont like to hunt around crowds of people -so its the fall or winter -and there are plenty of fellow THers's .

Not trying to be negative and i do enjoy the hobby -being a 60 years old .i am starting to envision the day (in my area anyway)where you have your (not justifying the cost)Deus or Etrac CTX and with no place to hunt-- let alone your ace 250.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rljehart

Aug 25, 2005
That's Great ! my point is get permission to hunt those older areas quick! I have missed out on a few "prime"old areas by waiting anoher day .
i have always hunted the modern areas as well --- have not done no where as well as you have -- just will add==one of my favorite parks is now banned by the city --had a city councilman thought is was a "crude so called hobby" that degrades the park. With all the development - i dont know of any new parks being built

Last edited:

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its getting harder every day to find good places to hunt....not like it was in the 80's! You might try door knocking to get permission....Good Luck in your hunt!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread