The ultimate secret to getting on tellers good side

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
I always ask but tellers around my location never seem to have any. There is validity in your advice. I am acquaintances with a teller at a bank near me. She says that he as a few half dollars and other "odd" currencies in her tray and cannot get rid of them. I offered to "purchase" whatever they have. Hopefully I'll find something good!

Terp08

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gonna sound like Gilmore here but when I was banging the assistant branch manager the tellers seemed to be a whole lot nicer....

OP
OP
SilverForBrains

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gonna sound like Gilmore here but when I was banging the assistant branch manager the tellers seemed to be a whole lot nicer....

So that's the real secret! no wonder all of you on here get so many silver coins from the tellers :wink:

Sleazyj

Mar 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have tellers just hand me there halves while I wait for my coin to be counted they know me and let me say yes or no. Also got one at a different branch who said she'll save the silver for me when I come in every 2-3 days to dump nickels

kimikiri

Jun 4, 2011
Central, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, Garrett ACE 350, Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Donuts every week... you will have the whole staff loving you. I get Christmas cards from them now too!

OP
OP
SilverForBrains

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, how many gold presidential dollers do you have in your pocket?

that's not a roll of presidential dollars in my pocket, I'm just happy to see everyone on this forum :wink:

yea I hate spending those things, plus they're easy to lose. however, from a metal detecting standpoint I fully am in favor of a switch to all coins instead of bills!

Sounds like I should be doing the donuts and cookies thing instead. I've always been afraid the tellers would thing I'm strange, but they probably think that anyway. At least this way they get donuts

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
I fully am in favor of a switch to all coins instead of bills!

You know I've always wanted to have a leather pouch full of gold coins attached to my belt. I think it would be pretty impressive to whip out a leather pouch and pour gold coins into your hand while paying for groceries.

kimikiri

Jun 4, 2011
Central, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, Garrett ACE 350, Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like I should be doing the donuts and cookies thing instead. I've always been afraid the tellers would thing I'm strange, but they probably think that anyway. At least this way they get donuts

Yeah they already think you are strange... lol. I started hitting up multiple banks and narrowed it down based on many factors. Some banks tried to start charging me $.10 per roll, some banks required I be a member, etc etc... Eventually I decided to try to "win over" some of the more tolerable banks with donuts. The way I figured it was that Im getting 5+ boxes of coin from these people and making on average $60-80 a week so why not throw back $8 in donut costs. I cannot stress enough how much it pays off in the long run.

1. They will actually save anything they think you might like until you make your weekly visit (proofs, old coin rolls, etc)
2. They SMILE when you walk into the bank
3. Every employee knows you by name (even the mortgage officers in the back that you never see)
4. Fees for rolls // limits on boxes... forget about it

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do that i even take the dumps. And i tell them am doing it to help them!!

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
Homemade bread, fresh from the oven, with a 1/4 lb. of real butter along with it. Vary the bread so it's Hawaiian sweet bread one time, plain white the next, 9-grain the next, etc. Believe me, they smile after a couple of loaves. I even tossed in a bread knife so they could cut it themselves. Stays warmer longer when you don't cut it ahead of time. Do that and ALWAYS be very patient, don't get upset if they forget to order one given week, or only have 2 boxes instead of 4 and they will remember you for charm and kindness in a very fond way.

RR

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Early on a few years ago when I started bringing in treats, the tellers caught on to my silver secret. Talk about the finds drying up! Had to go to just box orders.

OP
OP
SilverForBrains

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea I suppose that's the problem with going out of your way to bake for them, they may put two and to together and figure out why you're going through so much trouble. Then again, they still may give you all the silver because some people would take baked goods over silver anyway. Personally I prefer the silver

Terp08

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Early on a few years ago when I started bringing in treats, the tellers caught on to my silver secret. Talk about the finds drying up! Had to go to just box orders.

This was my thinking. Havent had any tellers save me coins but I did have a teller let me swap some clad for silver in the bag at the penny arcade. Waited 2 weeks then called and brought them in pizza. Told them it was for being so helpful and accomodating. Not going to lead on that any of the coins they gave me (about $8 face mixed between franklins, 64s and 40%s) were worth any more than others.

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
I only take them a loaf about once a month, just often enough to let them know they are appreciated. I also make it as easy as possible for them to hand over the coin, asking them to slide it across a waist-high desk to me rather than lift it to a chest-high counter. It's the little touches.

I now know, as a result, that the head teller's hubbie is a SERIOUS coin collector to the point he paid a few hundred $$$ for one single dime. And that they have an older gentleman who buys halves who also buys from each till and even looks over the counter into the drawers.

I have carried in with me a few token examples of my finds such as a proof (so they know what a proof looks like, the better to understand why someone might be excited about finding one) and a large foreign coin. The tellers are always fascinated by the finds and understand better why I hunt. Unlike some here for me it is not just the silver but the hunt, and the 'Easter eggs" I find.

Rascal

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread