digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Not quite up to the Sensitivity on metal detectors. What is it actually doing. I would automatically think that if the ground is hard clay, you would want to boost the Sens. all the way, and loose black sand mix soil, Sens. would be set lower. I question my theory.

Anyone want to explain this, so I truly no what it does.

Thanks,HH

ATPRO user.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No not really.. A MD works by creating a stable magnetic field around the receive coil. When metal either iron based or conductive enters the field it either changes the voltage in the receive winding or alter the phase (frequency) of the induced recieve field. The computer calculates what that metal is by the changes in the phase and voltage. The sensitivity is how much change needs to happen to make the machine give you info.. The field is always the same strength in the ground.. The ground can effect how the machine reacts and can produce false signals (ground return) in which case you would reduce the sensitivity so the machine would remain stable without false signals or overloades

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread