gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The military has and so does Border Patrol use sights that can see far and wide. These sights measure air temp. Now the AN/TAS4 Thermal Imaging Sight was used for many years, on boats and vehicals, and probably still used on aircraft as Frankln has mentioned. These sight could see through smoke a few feet of underbrush. You could also see small voids in the ground. What really fascinated me was you could could see trails and roads too. I could see a founddation of a mission being found with this method. These sights work day or night, but best after the sun goes down. They have a special coated lens, a built in cooling unit, a 3x power and a 13x power built in scope to name a few. I could see and Identify a man at 6 Kilomters easily. The definition was amazing, but not great. Heat source such as moving parts, engines, exhaust, and tires on vehicals would show up as bright red, colder than air stuff would show up as black. I would not want to lug one of those, the cables, and batteries around, to include a tripod to put it on. But it would make for a interesting day in the mountains of a known treasure areas. Of course I have several years looking through the lens of one, and dont feel the expense of a modern day Thermal Camera to justify my a day hunting caches. There are other ways to locate the same voids. If your thinking about getting a plane or helicopter and flying around the area looking for caves and such. That has already been done several years ago here. You can find videos online of it. There is some self proclaimed professional treasure hunters out there who have the money and backing to search with some very sophisticated equipment. There is also some folks who make a living out of finding and then selling the info to resources that they would not dig themselves. If you have the time, and money, I would add a thermal camera to your chest of tools.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
If you want to experiment with IR, get a hand held non contact temp unit. You can get one from Harbor freight. it is called the Infrared Thermometer and sells for about $29. It even has a led target light. It's a cheap way of finding out the limits of IR. Yes I have one to play with. it uses a 9v bat. Be aware, it only measures generated or reflected heat. It only shows surface temperatures. It will not show gold in the ground! Frank...

111-1 profileRED.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread