Think I got a gold ring, but need some input!

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Got out to a local beach on Sunday. Found a few older things like a buffalo nickel, sterling ID part of a bracelet, toasted merc, and some wheat cents. Also got what I think is a gold ring, but it doesn't 100% pass the sniff test. There's an inscription dated 1975, and it doesn't look worn, so I suspect it was lost somewhere in the 70s (can't promise that though). This beach is rough on metals, so that it's clean like that is a plus. It was somewhat tarnished coming out, so it'd be more of 10k than 14k or 18k.

There are two stamps - but neither is a karat stamp. The both look like HLO. Why stamp the same thing twice? What do you guys think?

Attachments

• IMG_0913.JPG
    IMG_0913.JPG
    468.9 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_0912.JPG
    IMG_0912.JPG
    226.5 KB · Views: 144
  • closeup.jpg
    closeup.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 177
Upvote 13

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Take it to your local jeweler and ask them to tell you. Cool finds! :headbang:

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats, looks like you had a good day at the beach.
Nice finds! :occasion14:

nolanation

Apr 28, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks stainless based on edge sharpness, but get it tested.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It looks stainless to me also. Any jeweler will test it free. That would be my first choice instead of asking here. Pictures never do justice

OP
OP
testing123

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Will have a jeweler check it out today or tomorrow. Will post the results as soon as I know!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Judging from your other targets it maybe a pre 1906 low carat gold ring. Just a wild shot in the dark. And lets hope. Before 1906 many old rings were not stamped, and if they were it could be anything.

Gold and Silver Stamping Act

Here is one I just dug, just a symbol
20170323_164212.jpg 10k rose gold

Denny45

Apr 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me doesn't look real old I've found rings like that before. I suspect stainless steel. I recently found a smaller stainless ring that sounded like gold on the t-2 low conductor.

OP
OP
testing123

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Got to the jeweler today. He was a bit skeptical at first, but after testing, he was certain the ring was solid gold. Now, the question of karat... there's a chance it's 10k, but it said with the mix, it's more likely 9k as it didn't fully hold up to the 10k solution. He said it's standard to cheat on karat... for example, a 10k ring, may really only be 9.5k. So they may have attempted 10k but skimmed a little too much off the top. But Alright, we'll take that over another lipstick tube any day!

I can see in the images how it looked "steel" colored. It was just bad lighting - it's yellow throughout.

So happy day!! First gold of the year.

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the golden test results. Your ring is certainly much older than I would have guessed. Great find.

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a big ring, congrats on the gold!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad it was gold we all need a bone once in a while

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Got to the jeweler today. He was a bit skeptical at first, but after testing, he was certain the ring was solid gold. Now, the question of karat... there's a chance it's 10k, but it said with the mix, it's more likely 9k as it didn't fully hold up to the 10k solution. He said it's standard to cheat on karat... for example, a 10k ring, may really only be 9.5k. So they may have attempted 10k but skimmed a little too much off the top. But Alright, we'll take that over another lipstick tube any day!

I can see in the images how it looked "steel" colored. It was just bad lighting - it's yellow throughout.

Very Good!! Just the way the Hallmark letters are inset sure looks from the late 1800's time period. I have one very similar I found a few years ago, in the water. Less the stone they are alike..
OBN0002.jpg

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
send it to me, if it isn't gold I will send it right back

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Congrats on it being gold. Glad you had it tested and didn't rely on pictures. Yahoo score!

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Congrats on the gold. I found this cross awhile back before I had a diamond tester. I acid tested it in wouldn't register for any K's so I tossed it into my TBD/junk pile. Flash forward a year and I bought a diamond tester and thought, go through everything "just to be sure". Well the diamonds test real so off to the jeweler I go and he confirms we have real diamonds but can't acid test for purity. He sent it out to be assayed (free) and comes back 13.7k on the clasp and 13.6 on the cross....solving the mystery lol. Pretty common for things to fall a bit short on the purity. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1490838402.042347.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread