Thinking of selling some 40%ers

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I'm considering of selling some 40%ers. I've used APMEX before but now I don't have 1K value worth to sell. I've got only $50 face worth. I keep my 90%ers still. Anyone know of a site that will buy for less than 1 K worth and best price? I want to sell really soon.

CRHing has slowed down to a halt for me. Two of my dump banks do count verification only now and they don't give cash on the spot anymore. With only one dump bank left, I've cut it down. Very few finds if any. Hadn't been here for a while. Didn't like the new site as much as the old. But finds are down and down so I figure it's a good to stop. My retirement from CRHing is looming. LOL

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jarlbartar

Jan 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard that Provident Metals has good prices and you only need to sell $250 of silver value, but I'm not entirely sure. I got a pleasant surprise last week when I found a buyer on Craigslist who pays full spot price! No fee or shipping, or any other kind of gouging. I really didnt want to sell when silver is so low, but I figure I probably won't find another buyer to pay full spot any time soon, so I dumped some of my non collectible coins on them and turned a handsome profit.

midntmn

Dec 15, 2011
one of the 13 colonies
Primary Interest:
Other
Try Bullion Direct.com. They sell 40% and 90% in $10 increments. Under their "Nucleo Exchange" section, you can sell your own stuff at the price you want for a 1% fee. If you become a Charter Member, you can also sell on this site directly to individuals.

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I did look at Provident Metals site but it appears as though they don't offer 40%ers. I also looked at Bullion Direct, I don't think I could unload them all enough as though there are not enough bids as the highest price for 5 rolls. I wonder if one has to then mail them to different buyers if they are at different bid prices. There is shipping too.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold 100 40% silvers at a local coin show for $4.55 each, at the time, 90% of spot value... at the time, the coin was worth $5.06 at $34.25 an ounce. I would say if you were offered around $4.15-$4.25, you're getting a fair offer.
Remember, you got the coins for face value. Sure you want to get the most you can out of them, but you have to leave room for the dealer's profits, he has to sell the coins to another buyer who then melts the coins.

Hope this helps,
Buff

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot to mention... there were 5 buyers willing to buy my 40% silver half dollars at the time of $34.25 an ounce.
Buyer 1: $3.00 each
Buyer 2: $3.25 each
Buyer 3: $2.50 each
Buyer 4: $4.25 each
Buyer 5: $4.55 each

this goes to show that if you're selling to dealers, get quotes from all the dealers before selling to one, because the dealer sitting right next to the other one could pay an extra quarter or more for each silver half dollar. :)

midntmn

Dec 15, 2011
one of the 13 colonies
Primary Interest:
Other
I did look at Provident Metals site but it appears as though they don't offer 40%ers. I also looked at Bullion Direct, I don't think I could unload them all enough as though there are not enough bids as the highest price for 5 rolls. I wonder if one has to then mail them to different buyers if they are at different bid prices. There is shipping too.

With Bullion Direct, you ship the coins to them before you list them. When someone buys them, BD ships the coins to the buyer at the buyer's cost. Buyers may also choose to Have BD keep the coins in their account and can ship them or sell them later. They will probably accept as many as you want to send them. They sell halfs in $10, $100 and $1000 increments. I have used them for several years without problem.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread