This oil painting signature ought to be easy, but I can't crack it

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course, that could mean it's nobody, but it's a very nicely done large oil painting with a quality frame. You guys are amazing at figuring signatures out! Thanks for any help!

IMG_9781.JPG IMG_9782.JPG IMG_9780.JPG

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like Carl Karsten or Korsten, but I can't find anything.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A very nice painting! :occasion14:

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just doing a bit of tidying up on some older threads, mainly for the benefit of anyone searching the site for information.

The signature is “Carl Karsten”. Here’s a similar scene from a Dutch auction site which had a pre-sale estimate of $50 but attracted no bids and went unsold:

Karsten1.jpg

Karsten2.jpg

There are similar works on other art sites with titles like “Dutch Woodland Scene” but none of them venture any biographical details or date period for the artist. Also, there are distinct differences in brushwork style on some of the works, suggesting they are not all by the same hand, despite having the same signature.

That’s usually an indication that these are commercial studio works of formulaic scenes by artists using a fictitious name invented by the studio and sold as wall art. Probably from the 1950s to 1970s.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions