Tiger Shark Pros/Cons

jadeblackhawk

May 27, 2006
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
I'm thinking of getting either a Tiger Shark or an Excalibur II, freshwater only. I don't scuba (yet) so that's not a concern right now. I have an AT Pro, which I love, but I'm not happy with it's performance in the water. I used to use a Fisher 1288x, which I really liked before it quit working one day (I haven't sent it in yet because I hate talking on the phone and that's the only way to get a hold of Fisher now I guess. I don't know what's wrong or if it's worth fixing vs buying a new one. It's really old, the seals probably failed and got water in it)

So what are the pros and cons of using the Tiger Shark? It doesn't look like there's a volume control in the pictures, and having headphones on full blast when you're wading isn't fun. How deep does it go/ how small of targets will it find? How good is discrimination? I know they have a "lifetime warranty" but a few years ago when I bought a used TS that was DOA, I couldn't get a hold of them, and ended up sending it back to the seller.

Thanks for any help

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Check out Indian Steve's thread.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/beach-shallow-water/550286-i-did.html

Steve is a long time Tiger Shark user, and we hunted many times with him & his TS with me using my Excal. Both are great machines, but the Excal is much better with small iron & bobby pins - the only time I've scooped a bobby pin was when it came up in the scoop with a good target.

And, Steve won't be turning loose of his Tiger Shark either!

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just a guess, but I'm thinking they left what they could in the box to eliminate as many potential leak points as possible. Once you get things set to the way you prefer, you'll probably be happy leaving the settings alone. I know that has worked well enough for me.
luvsdux

goodtimecharlie

Aug 11, 2012
winfield,ks.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600-Tesoro Mojave-Tesoro Tiger Shark- TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well IMHO you can't go wrong with a Tiger Shark I've own them for the past eight years. I have tried the Excal II did not care for it seemed fragile and did not perform any better than the Tiger. As for the adjustments being inside those are things that are seldom changed once your set up. I have not tried the Fisher, but my hunting partner has one X 1280 and he always comments on how he should have got a Tigers Shark. If the Tiger has any cons it would be the balance, but I have mine mounted on a straight shaft with the box under my elbow and can swing it as easy as any detector I own.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread