Tightening the Neuse on a potential little wreck...have the dredges left anything?

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever it was went down in very shallow water, yet it seems with a substantial number of coins aboard that were never salvaged. I believe a lumber schooner was found in the vicinity a few years ago...probably not related. Here is a link to a Tnet thread on a maravedi found in downtown New Bern a few years ago: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/s...ered-coin-found-new-bern-nc-any-id-ideas.html The OP said it was found in sight of the waterfront. I believe quite a bit of modern New Bern was built on dredge tailings from the Neuse and Trent rivers. If this post makes anyone "uncomfortable" drop me a line and I will delete. Hopefully downtown New Bern won't be crawling with Ace 250's tomorrow. LOL This might be worth a look to an adventurous soul who is not afraid of low visibility diving conditions...and someone who doesn't scoff at salvaging something less than a Spanish galleon...local laws, as always, should be followed.

NewBern paint.png Charlotte Observer, 3-6-1922

newbern paint 2.png Greensboro Daily News, 4-24-1941

maravedi found New Bern 2007.png maravedi found by Tnet member in 2007 in downtown New Bern

neuse river chart.png

New Bern, NC around 1820.png New Bern, 1820 new bern, NC today.png New Bern today

Last edited:

dennco2000

Dec 4, 2012
Englewood Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Mark II - AT Pro - Garrett 580 PP.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I would be headed that way right now if I didnt live in SW-Fla

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II (retired), Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I just moved from Greenville/Hatteras NC to Atlanta GA.... Good lead tho!

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
I would be interested in what the boys on the Cob forum would have to say about these...
Aquanut

OP
OP
J

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be interested in what the boys on the Cob forum would have to say about these...
Aquanut

I am not an expert on cobs, that's for sure, but I have never seen anything quite like this one. It really is quite interesting.

The story is kind of hilarious, really. If you look at the maps of New Bern, the area to the south and east of Front St. has obviously grown since the old days...almost certainly from dredge tailings. So you have 3 different incidents, widely separated in time, of people finding coins in these dredge tailings. There has to be a lot more coins...and there must have been quite a few in the bottom of the river. The pirate angle is almost certainly nonsense, of course, but there must be or have been something in the bottom of that river...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread