Time capsules

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Not an original thought, butā€¦ We had some discussion last week, in a forum, concerning nothing being left for future generations of detectors to find and the hobby dying out. What if each of us (on our own properties) made and buried a small time capsule for the future hunters to find.
Iā€™m picturing a small can with a few current coins, a broken watch, an extra spoon, etc. weā€™d leave it alone and in 75-100 years even a broken watch made in 1998 would be a find. Kind of like the lumber industry, plant a tree for the one that was cut down.
Iā€™m prepared for the backlash this time. So let me know how dumb this idea is. Regardless Iā€™m going to do it. Whatā€™s wrong with sowing a few seeds for tomorrowā€™s hunters? LMK
I trust the opinions because this is the best Site Iā€™ve ever seen. The members are great.

OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Not an original thought, butā€¦ We had some discussion last week, in a forum, concerning nothing being left for future generations of detectors to find and the hobby dying out. What if each of us (on our own properties) made and buried a small time capsule for the future hunters to find.
Iā€™m picturing a small can with a few current coins, a broken watch, an extra spoon, etc. weā€™d leave it alone and in 75-100 years even a broken watch made in 1998 would be a find. Kind of like the lumber industry, plant a tree for the one that was cut down.
Iā€™m prepared for the backlash this time. So let me know how dumb this idea is. Regardless Iā€™m going to do it. Whatā€™s wrong with sowing a few seeds for tomorrowā€™s hunters? LMK
I trust the opinions because this is the best Site Iā€™ve ever seen. The members are great.
PS: Private land because we canā€™t guarantee a capsule on public land wonā€™t be found a month later. Nobody but me hunts my yard! šŸ˜†

Gulf Coast Pirate

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2021
Bayport, FL
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great idea. I saw blak bart posted him burying stuff with his kids a while back. I want to do it with the grand kids on our property.

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ (Down Under)
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
Not dumb at all. Near a year ago i got a full bucket full of old just about everything and anything Id found over the years and either had not given away or thought id keep. Old musket balls, old high cal rifle bullet heads, buttons, coins, buckles and even a box of old bottles. Good luck to whoever finds them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread