Tips / Secrets of the Fisher F5?

cincyjon

Greenie
Nov 16, 2010
So I'm new to Metal detecting and after some research I bought the Fisher F5, thanks to this site and everyone who helped.

I've been out twice and found 14 coins all 70's and older, I am real happy with this and just want to make sure I'm not missing anything and would appreciate any tips or secrets of the F5. I've got down the sound of newer coins but to date haven't found or maybe I'm passing up older stuff. I know I didn't buy the most expensive unit and I do love it so far another question is what does the discrimination modes and notching actually do? I still find a lot of junk and have junk notched out??

Thanks again for any tips....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will find faster and more accurate questions to your detector posts if you use the Fisher forum an not the JW Fisher which is another brand all together.

Discrimination tunes out lower conductivity metals which some are junk. Some white gold rings now can show up in the foil range, so if you tune out foil you could lose those. But, hey, there is a lot of foil out there. The NOTCH control is another disc control that allows you to tune out higher items say like disc out iron but accept foil an then also notch out pull tabs which there are a million tons of still out there.

Suggest you read Western & Eastern Treasures magazine and anything you can get your hands on about detecting. It doesn't matter which price detector you have, all you get with the more $$$ ones are more features. :read2:

Good Luck an HH,
Sandman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread