? token any ideas

T

texinwi

hey you token guys
I just found a token I need some help with its octagon shape about the size of a quarter with "F.BUGAYSKI" across the top and a small diamond on the bottom with a period or dot on each side of the diamond. The reverse has a large number 5 with a ring of dots around the outer edge the whole thing seams to be a little off center.oh yea it seams to be copper or bronze. Thanks guys or gals :? :?

OP
OP
T

texinwi

I cant seem to get my pictures to upload I think the files may be to big ???The location is central wisconsin there was alot of illegal gambling during the proabition era but it could be from any where thanks for the help buckram

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    357.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    360 KB · Views: 23
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 27
Upvote 0

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi, Texinwi--I believe that this token is from Filorian Bugayski, but have not proved the connection. He is listed in the 1910 census as being in Ward 33 of Chicago, IL, which was right in the State Street / Cottage Grove saloon district, but I have not yet found the entry on the census for him. I'll keep at it, to know for sure, but I'd put the odds at 90% it is from Chicago.

Thanks for the plug for TAMS, Buckram! I am the TAMS maverick editor and am glad to help with mavericks.

John in Idaho

Upvote 0
A

ARCOMANDPURPLE

HI JOHN
Whats your local ?? I'm located in Idaho Falls. ARCOM

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

texinwi

bugayski

hi John in Idaho
thanks for the input . I went to the Lib. today but no luck for a bugayski in my area I did find on the internet that one graduated from a highschool thirty miles east of my location in 1923. We are only a few hours north of Chicago so this idea would fit and they do like to drink here.
I went TH today but only new coins & junk of course happy hunting

Upvote 0

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi, texinwi--I think the attribution of this token to Chicago, IL can now be called pretty close to 100% certain. I have found Filorian Bugayski listed as "saloon-keeper" in the 1910 Census. He was enumerated at 406 East 115th Street - it is hard to tell whether that was his residence and saloon, or just his residence. In those days, it was not unusual for an unmarried saloonkeeper to live in the same building as his business, but he was counted with his wife and children, so it is likely that the address was his residence only. He was 35 years old in 1910 and I don't find any other traces of him in other census years or in the IL death records. Best, John in Idaho (e-mail: [email protected], but if you e-mail, use a meaningful subject line or things go into the spam bucket)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

texinwi

token

hey john

thanks for the info sorry i didnt get back to you sooner , I work 7 on 7 off so I dont always get a chance to follow up on the coputer stuff on my week of work since I cant seem to upload the pictures I will try to email them to you happy hunting texinwi "mark"

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread