IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1223181409~2.jpg 1223181412~2.jpg Montana has really diverse terrain. One side of a mountain range can have 10 feet of snow, and the other, dry cold desert conditions. I chose this desert area for a hike on Sunday, and found some nice petrified logs. Too big and heavy to carry out though! Maybe next time I might bring my 4 wheeler, then again, can my 45 year old body still lift 250 lbs? LOL!

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used a one-by or two-by at about 5 or 6 feet long and roll it onto the back of the atv. that , or tow along a small low trailer.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IAMZIM

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used a one-by or two-by at about 5 or 6 feet long and roll it onto the back of the atv. that , or tow along a small low trailer.
I was thinking of making a kind of "cot" like contraption, where I could roll it onto it and two people could pick it up and carry it...I do like your idea if I'm alone though....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IAMZIM

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If ya ain't careful you'll be putting somebody to the trouble of carrying you out:laughing9:
LoL! I like the way you think, but too many people know what I'm really like, I get people to go on a hike with me, but then they don't want to go again....:tongue3: Then word spreads about my "hikes" and how brutal they are haha!

Upvote 0

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
I would not go putting that on the four wheeler. get a couple 2X10s or other planks, sandwich that between it, ratchet strap it tight all together and just drag it with your machine.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IAMZIM

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m sure you will get it home that’s to nice to leave out there. Nice red color, post some pictures if you do get it home!
It will have to be in the spring now probably, it just snowed 8 inches out there! But you can bet i'll be going back to get it when I can.....

Upvote 0

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LoL! I get people to go on a hike with me, but then they don't want to go again....:tongue3: Then word spreads about my "hikes" and how brutal they are haha!

I have the same problem, Most of the people that I take along cannot keep up when hiking up hill. I have taken some that were in ''better shape'' than me and they still have to stop and catch their breath. I am sure that it has to do with the altitude. Now with my wife's heart condition I have to go a lot slower so I don't have to resort to try and carry her out to the hospital. :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IAMZIM

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the same problem, Most of the people that I take along cannot keep up when hiking up hill. I have taken some that were in ''better shape'' than me and they still have to stop and catch their breath. I am sure that it has to do with the altitude. Now with my wife's heart condition I have to go a lot slower so I don't have to resort to try and carry her out to the hospital. :icon_scratch:
Yes, even though I'm 45, I can out hike alot of people, I attribute it to all the years of elk hunting and, I just like to hike out in the mountains! I usually go on one or two hikes a week, with a minimum of 3 miles, up to 10 or 15 miles, and sometimes some really steep stuff. I agree that the altitude here can be rough on people for sure, and it helps that I live at 5500 feet already!:laughing7: I have too many hobbies haha! I fish, hunt, rockhound, do recreational mining, metal detect, snowboard in the winter, so I think it really helps to keep active, though I am slowing down, but not because I want to! That's pretty cool that your wife likes to go with you! And yeah, probably good to let her keep up with ya!:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might not be big enough for you, but take a look at the Gorilla Carts. I just got one not too long ago. The sides come off so you can use it as a wagon or as a flat cart. The thing I like is the handle flips around to hook to an ATV or as I used it to winch it along. If you're moving some big pieces of that material a handful of tie down straps would about do it. Stand it up against the piece strap it & push the front down. Already see my first mod! Grind the axel welds and put longer pieces of 5/8 rod straight through so I can mount four wheels front & back to handle sandy stuff. The little I messed with it with a couple of barrel halves full winched it up a pretty steep grade. I think it's going to be a handy tool for all us old farts! Let us know what you think for your application.

iu

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jyorsky

Sep 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO
AT GOLD
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sell it at a rock shop. Lol