Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Too Many MD's?

Anyone else out there have an excessive amount of MD's? I mean what do you do with them all?

We have a room in the basement that we keep all of our MD's and gear. I was looking around the other day just thinking how I would love to just sell these off that we do not use. Only 2 issues with that, first who the heck buys a used MD and second I live in Europe and there are not that many hunters here.

Had the same issue a few years back with bikes, then I got my new fatbike and velomobile and then my son got his new velomobile. Really had not choice but to clean out the bike, but had no trouble selling off 19 bikes in Germany.

Is there a market for used machines? What sort of value do they hold?

Here is my take, I would not ever buy a used machine and to me there is no value.

Anyone else ever hit this wall before?

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One quick look at a buy/sell/trade section of any metal detecting forum - you can obviously see there is a huge market for used detectors.

Nothing wrong with a used detector as long as it works and comes from a trusted person.

Just bought a Land Ranger Pro from a forum member here that had maybe 20-30 hours on it....works great. My wife just bought herself a Gold Bug and did not want used. Take all kinds to make the world go round. :occasion14:

For myself...I'll take a perfectly working used machine at a % off any day.

EDIT To cover the other points...never had too many. Just sell the ones that I no longer need/use. As far as value of a used machine....that is totally up in the air on the quality of it and how precious it is to the seller and buyer. Seen a $1000 machine sell for $400....seen a $500 machine sell for higher than it's worth. Like I said...takes all kinds.

Last edited:

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would never buy a NEW machine. Just google the model on Ebay, click advanced in the top right corner, click SOLD and search. You will get an idea of what the high end values are. Adjust for age and popularity and speed to sell. Most people on ebay want too much for things and of course have to pay the fees.. Check Friendly forum and Findmall forum classified for a better idea what things go for in reality.

OP
OP
Oddjob

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Did not know this forum had a sale section. I did look at ebay in the county I currently live in and surrounding countries. I found like 6 used machines.

I do see the point when it comes to it being a used machine from a trusted source, still I do not believe I could actually purchase a used machine but that is only because I have always purchased new machines.

My son was telling me that we need to keep them. I was once like him when I first started at a very young age. Since then I kept them all. I told him if he wanted them then he needed to keep them in his room.

Just wanted to see if other folks ever had that hit them before.

Thanks folks.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did not know this forum had a sale section. I did look at ebay in the county I currently live in and surrounding countries. I found like 6 used machines.

I do see the point when it comes to it being a used machine from a trusted source, still I do not believe I could actually purchase a used machine but that is only because I have always purchased new machines.

My son was telling me that we need to keep them. I was once like him when I first started at a very young age. Since then I kept them all. I told him if he wanted them then he needed to keep them in his room.

Just wanted to see if other folks ever had that hit them before.

Thanks folks.

Required to be a Charter Member to sell here, $20 a year...

OP
OP
Oddjob

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Required to be a Charter Member to sell here, $20 a year...

No I am not looking to sell here; I am just going to let my son deal with it, and if he decides to keep all the ones we do not use then so beit.

But thanks for the heads up.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have seven machines at present. It's a good thing to, because I'm in the doghouse after spending too much money on my other hobby, and I need to liquidate at least three machines. :laughing7:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I currently own 5 excellent machines. Minelab CTX 3030, Excalibur, E-Trac, the AT PRO and the XP DEUS.
I'm not looking to sell any. A few years ago, I purchased an antique Whites GOLDMASTER for $25.
That machine is a story fabricator. Like the time I was in Arizona hunting Sand Bass,,,,,,,

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
There is definitely a market for used deterctors. Personally, I own 8 and my collection is still growing. I don't think there is such a thing as too many detectors!

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey O.J., any items of more than 3 of the same or similar things are officially considered to be a collection. Unless, of course, you're just a hoarder. LOL. By the way, are ya still in Italy?

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have bought 7 metal detectors in, only 2 were new. My 1st one and the one I got with points from work. The other 5 I have used were all bought from craigslist. There is a big market for used machines as long as they are not museum pieces IMHO.

As soon as one just sits. it gets sold before it depreciates too much.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread