Took a walk in the woods. My first 2 cent piece!?!?

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello all.

Sunday I went to a lot where a school used to be. It was torn down about 7 years ago and most of it is not detectable because of the overgrown vegetation. As I was making my way around a path that circles the property I got a nice signal that turned out to be a Merc. That made my day and anything else would be icing on the cake!

I followed the path on around the property and decided to detect the woods next to the lot. I had MUCH better luck than I ever imagined. I ended up with 8 wheats, 2 more Mercs, a war nickel and the 1937 Walking Liberty half. It’s my first big silver in over a year and my first half dollar in about 18 months.

Lot looks much better here than it really is. It's a shame I didn't take up detecting until after the school had been torn down. :unhappysmiley:

FIYRMch.png

Here is the Walker in the bottom of the hole. Even though it gave a great signal I was shocked to see it in the hole.

D9XGJBI.jpg

I was off work Monday so I headed over there again. I didn’t find any silver but found 8 more wheat cents, a dateless Buffalo and was sure I had found my first 2 cent piece but it turned out to be a 1867 German 2 pfennig. Oh well, maybe next time.

6LKqusQ.jpg

This little fella scared the crap out of me when I brushed away the leaves to start digging a signal. :laughing7:

NWKohS5.jpg

Family shot.

eYvTx1d.jpg

I’m curious why those coins would be in the woods. I see no indication of a home site ever being there. The closest house www.historicaerials shows was about 300 yards away. Strange. :icon_scratch:

Thanks for looking. GL & HH.

Upvote 0

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds! But remember, what are woods now maybe have been a playground or ball field 100 years ago, so always dig everywhere.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check the rest of the woods. They weren't there when the school was in its prime if you had that kind of luck!

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check the rest of the woods. They weren't there when the school was in its prime if you had that kind of luck!

I'll definitely do some more exploring. I don't think the school was super old. I can't find any documentation, but I think it was built in the 1930's.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very well done sir! Congrats on all of the goodies. That is a very nice set of coins.

As soon as I saw the "2" on the that coin... I knew it wasn't a US 2 center, but had no idea WHAT it was.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the finds! How far are those woods from where the actual building was? Is there a large tree there that may have been a shade tree for everyone to sit under and coins to slip out of pockets, etc.? If the school was fairly old, could be that the area had a different purpose and looking at the tree size and distribution might help. Getting your hands on any old photos of the school and area would help, may have to check at the local library to see if any local data or books exist. Any neighbors close that might know about it? County records online that might have pics or drawings/architectural layout of the school and grounds. Just ideas for research that would help zero in hunts. Good Luck!

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the finds! How far are those woods from where the actual building was? Is there a large tree there that may have been a shade tree for everyone to sit under and coins to slip out of pockets, etc.? If the school was fairly old, could be that the area had a different purpose and looking at the tree size and distribution might help. Getting your hands on any old photos of the school and area would help, may have to check at the local library to see if any local data or books exist. Any neighbors close that might know about it? County records online that might have pics or drawings/architectural layout of the school and grounds. Just ideas for research that would help zero in hunts. Good Luck!

Here is the school in 1971. Tree line hasn't changed too much. I would guess the woods are about 150 yards from the school. The thing in the upper center is a drainage area with old clay or iron pipes emptying into it. Thanks for the tips on researching the area.

On a side note, I actually went to this school in the 1st grade in 1972/73. :happysmiley:

AkevF9y.png

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very well done sir! Congrats on all of the goodies. That is a very nice set of coins.

As soon as I saw the "2" on the that coin... I knew it wasn't a US 2 center, but had no idea WHAT it was.

Thanks man. I have a 2 cent piece but I haven't looked at in in so long I couldn't remember exactly what they look like. Once I got home and looked at a pic online, it was pretty obvious it wasn't a US 2 cent piece. At least I was excited for a little while. :laughing7:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a great site, and another example of research paying off. Congrats on having that awesome day. Days like that feed the fire.

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a great site, and another example of research paying off. Congrats on having that awesome day. Days like that feed the fire.

Thank you sir. I think it was more luck than anything that I started detecting the woods. I wasn't expecting anything much to be there, Just goes to show you never know what might be hiding in the ground.

GL & HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread