Treasure found in family heirloom! Pic heavy!

walker614

May 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I made the find of my life today. I was sitting in the kitchen having my morning coffee when the wife walks up asking if I would help get my mothers old cedar chest out and clean it up so we could put it in the guest room that we just renovated.
I reluctantly agreed and went to help. Upon opening the locked chest without a key we were amazed to find treasure!!! I had not been into this chest since I received it after my mothers passing. Just never made time to try to open it until my wife wanted to actually use it for of all things... Blankets.
Well anyway... Inside I found and small box, stack of old papers and magazines, and some old photos.
The papers were of different origins but the best one was a paper from memphis dated "Wednesday Morning, August 17, 1977" headline: "Death Captures Crown of Rock And Roll-- Elvis Dies Apparently After Heart Attack"
ybepy2ej.jpg

But the best find of all was the small box. I opened it up and my eyes just about exploded out of my head!!

COINS!! And lots of them. All silver and copper! Well the daily chores just took a massive back seat! I some sorting to do!
After I got them sorted out I could not believe what I had found! Let me see if I get the rundown right.
For starters:
1- 1989 silver eagle 1oz. Silver
1- 1926 Peace dollar
7y8u5uqu.jpg
yhutajan.jpg

4- liberty half dollars
1893,1897,1903,&1915
6eqehy9y.jpg

11- walking liberty half dollars
ynuhebaq.jpg

8- Benjamin halves
gebema6e.jpg

And 12 Kennedy's (all 1964)
by9enete.jpg

4 mercury dimes and 65 Rosie's
3emary9e.jpg

A 1891 IH penny
And a boatload of wheaties!!
a6uju8eb.jpg

And 4 steelies
ydy5a5en.jpg

All without touching my detector.
Chris W.

Last edited:
Upvote 3

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on some great coins and collectible papers and such that your mom left you! I still haven't gone through my mom's old Cedar Chest and she has been bgone almost 14 year now. I know that there are some old newspapers, newspaper clippings, her' old Bible and my second cousins mother's Bible which is probably 150 years old or older. My second cousin was in WWII and was highly decorated and fought in 3 major campaigns and landings during his service. He went ashore at on one the beaches in the Normandy Invasion, the later in Italy, then even later in North Africa and this information as well as his' medals and commendations are recorded in his mother's Bible. I guess it is time to bite the bullet and go through the stuff in my mom's Cedar Chest. Mom was fairly poor but who knows what I might that she left me! I will have to check every page of every newspaper, book and Bible in the Cedar Chest as mom was good a hiding things.

Frank

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice, the news paper is highly collectable . The coins are nice as well.

OP
OP
walker614

walker614

May 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! I also found some old WWII photos and a war diary. There are some pages missing and have not found a owners name in it yet. Had 4 great uncles that served so not sure which one it belonged to yet. This chest has been sitting in the back room for three years and I never opened it until now.

Chris W.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At least we know where the blankets will be:laughing7: congrats on finding the stash, and sharing w/ us.

topdogintampa

Apr 19, 2014
Tampa Bay
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Teknetics Gamma 6000, Treasure Com TC3X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! Those coins are sweet, and I would frame the paper and hang it so I could see it every day. Great piece if history!

I'd also like to pass my condolence for the passing of your mom.

Todd

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Some treasures are invaluable due to being sentimental. Congrats on some!

OP
OP
walker614

walker614

May 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Those coins are sweet, and I would frame the paper and hang it so I could see it every day. Great piece if history!

I'd also like to pass my condolence for the passing of your mom.

Todd

Thanks Todd. She is missed everyday.

Chris W.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread