Life's Short - Dig Deep
Mar 31, 2013
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Gents,
Years ago and pre TN for me, I remember reading old Treasure Mags and watching videos of present day guys like Forest Fenn burying large caches of
buried treasure in order for others to get out and hunt. Similar to todays Geocaching. I remember there had to be extensive research of course following clues as in most hunts, (not easy), but remembering one in particular hunt, of a guy burying (very deep) a large Pelican type case (yellow) with quality artifacts and precious coins. At the time I did not have that much gumption to follow this hunt, but I remembered that particular image of this guy in the woods with this large pelican case in a fairly deep hole! Does anyone here remember something of the such as I can not find this info or
cacheing on any such sights now?? Thanks

Last edited:

elh

Aug 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Gents,
Years ago and pre TN for me, I remember reading old Treasure Mags and watching videos of present day guys like Forest Fenn burying large caches of
buried treasure in order for others to get out and hunt. Similar to todays Geocaching. I remember there had to be extensive research of course following clues as in most hunts, (not easy), but remembering one in particular hunt, of a guy burying (very deep) a large Pelican type case (yellow) with quality artifacts and precious coins. At the time I did not have that much gumption to follow this hunt, but remember that particular image of this guy in the woods and this large pelican case in a DEEP hole! Does anyone here remember something of the such as I can not find such lavish
cacheing on any such sights now?? Thanks
I remember seeing some videos on youtube but do not remember your particular video.
I sure miss seeing the oldies.

OP
OP
Surf_Pirate

Surf_Pirate

Life's Short - Dig Deep
Mar 31, 2013
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember seeing some videos on youtube but do not remember your particular video.
I sure miss seeing the oldies.
yeah this was probably when I remember youtube first coming out. people had just started doing present day treasure hunts and this one particular guys was becoming popular. It was a serious size cache and I haven't yet seen one on this caliber except the Fenn treasure

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone once buried $10k in Sacagawea dollar coins in a NYC park by Jamaica Bay, then Hurricane Sandy struck and destroyed all the clues that would have led to it. In the end the original people found it and took it anyway.

Funny enough there is another treasure still believed to be in the same area in that NYC park by Jamaica Bay. It was buried around 1830 by the 19th century pirate Captain Charles Gibbs - said to contain Spanish coin of untold fortune. Captain Gibbs was found guilty of piracy and hung on Ellis Island in 1831 and his skull was put on display at the General Society of Mechanics and Tradesmen Museum where it can still be seen today.

The skull:
The_skull_of_pirate_Charles_Gibbs_on_display_at_the_General_Society_of_Mechanics_and_Tradesmen...jpg

The purported treasure being buried in Barren Island, part of a NYC Park now:
Gibbs_and_Wansley_burying_the_Money.jpg

The $10,000 in Sacagawea coins being recovered from same area in November 2012:
19cityroom-gold-superJumbo.jpg

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Someone once buried $10k in Sacagawea dollar coins in a NYC park by Jamaica Bay, then Hurricane Sandy struck and destroyed all the clues that would have led to it. In the end the original people found it and took it anyway.

Funny enough there is another treasure still believed to be in the same area in that NYC park by Jamaica Bay. It was buried around 1830 by the 19th century pirate Captain Charles Gibbs - said to contain Spanish coin of untold fortune. Captain Gibbs was found guilty of piracy and hung on Ellis Island in 1831 and his skull was put on display at the General Society of Mechanics and Tradesmen Museum where it can still be seen today.

The skull: View attachment 2063385
The purported treasure being buried in Barren Island, part of a NYC Park now:
View attachment 2063384
The $10,000 in Sacagawea coins being recovered from same area in November 2012:
View attachment 2063390
Everyone, sell your Sacagawea coins, before this hoard gets into circulation…! 😉
WOW!

OP
OP
Surf_Pirate

Surf_Pirate

Life's Short - Dig Deep
Mar 31, 2013
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting