Treasure light hookup

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
As the years roll by my hearing has decreased to the point that I am going to outfit my detectors with bright LEDS to be used in place of sound. I have already installed a bright blue Led on my pinpointer that lights on target. That was simple, just hooked it on the speaker leads. works great. I also installed a bright red LED on my 2 Box that lights on target. Now comes the challenge, to hook a Led to the XLT and Surfmaster PI. I am figgering on using a 7805 voltage regulator and a 2N222 to controll the LED. has anyone tried to do this ? I do not use the Surfmaster in the water, only on the beach so I will probably just scrap those headphones. Might even try a cell phone buzzer in the handle of the PI. Frank...

111-1 profile.jpg

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
COME ON you guys. I know that I am not the only one on here with an electronics background and not the only the one with bad hearing. This info could help a lot of us oldtimers. The two pinpointers I added a LED to were the Cen Tec, Just added it to the speaker and the Whites original Bullseye. The Whites actually has a pad on the board to hook a target light on to. They must have originally intended to do that or add one to an upgraded model.
On the XLT, I will probably run the wires from the box, thru the shaft to the top front of the view panel. That way they will be in my line of sight as I watch the coil. On the Surfmaster, I will probably run the lines thru the handle tube and have the LED show right above my hand. Might even add a cell vibrator to the front side of the handle. This would be a great advantage on the beach with all the noise. I never did like the Surfmaster head phones. Frank

111-1 profile.jpg

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I noticed that Whites has LED ID lights on the Beach hunter ID detector, and they even have one to tell if it is iron. If it was a PI detector, I would consider getting one. But alas it is a VLF unit. Frank...

111-1 profilecracked.jpg

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Well, I looked inside the XLT. I have worked on electronic equipment for 32 years before I retired in '94 and I have to tell you it is high quality. I am really going to try to design a circuit that works off the speaker output. I don't want to push my luck and alter anything. I might take the easy way and make a add on unit that plugs into the speaker jack. The jack is in the back so a little add on box won't even mess up the balance. I would think that Whites would make such a device with all us aging fossles out here. I think the market is there. The thing that puzzles me is that there is a single output for the built in speaker, but a sterio output for the jack. There are separate outputs from the board. Hay Whites, I have been with you from the 70's any help?
Frank
111-1 profile.jpg

Last edited:

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
just an idea I got reading your thread here. How about plugging a digital electric guitar tuner into the headphone jack and learning what pitch is displayed on the tuner for certain targets such as coins, rings or whatever? You could mount the tuner to your machine above or below the existing display and not only see that you are over a target, but see if it repeats tone at the same pitch which will help you determine good targets. Digital tuners are pretty cheap, probably pick one up from amazon for 20-30 bucks.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
just an idea I got reading your thread here. How about plugging a digital electric guitar tuner into the headphone jack and learning what pitch is displayed on the tuner for certain targets such as coins, rings or whatever? You could mount the tuner to your machine above or below the existing display and not only see that you are over a target, but see if it repeats tone at the same pitch which will help you determine good targets. Digital tuners are pretty cheap, probably pick one up from amazon for 20-30 bucks.

That might work, but what I was thinking about was a simple cheap device composed of a LED and resistor, like a couple of buck range . I simply want it to light over target. The XLT has an ID meter. It would be an attention getter, that's all. Frank...

hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread