Trying to learn all I can about this antique painting. Any info helps!

rebel0718

Jun 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone,

I picked this painting up at a local second hand store in my home town of Spokane, Washington. I believe the signature says "H. Bongartz". The Canvas is hand made and very brittle on the sides of it's H-frame stretcher. This massive piece measures approx. 24"H x 36"W before adding it's frame which makes it 36"H x 48"W.

When I was in the checkout isle, there was an older man behind me, who told me he was on the phone with his daughter, an art major, who said she recognized the artist's name, and the man offered to pay me double what I was about to pay for it, if I was willing to sell it to him when we got outside. Of course, this made me want the painting all that much more and I politely declined the offer. When I got home, I excitedly tried to search for the artist but to no avail, which surprised me because of the interest shown in it at the store.

I don't know much old oil paintings, but I've learned that as the back of a canvas ages, it loses it's off white color and takes on a brownish hue. This is the darkest canvas that I've personally ever seen, but I have no idea how old this painting really is. The back of the canvas also has several patches? all over it. I don't know if these were used to patch up the canvas early on, or in an effort to restore it maybe? If anyone could help me get an idea of it's age, anything about the artist, or any ideas about how to proceed with my research, I'd really appreciate it.

CAM00453.jpg CAM00454.jpg CAM01625.jpg CAM01626.jpg CAM01627.jpg CAM01628.jpg CAM01629.jpg CAM01633.jpg

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Rebel, were you able to find anything about your painting? I like it! I can tell you that it is high end based on my experience. I looked, but I could not find anything about the artist. Your first clue is the fact that the gentleman at the thrift was not secretive about the painting, and went to his daughter for info. Once she knew what you had, the gentleman offered to buy it! :-) I would recommend for you to call on appraisers/galleries in your area, and ask them if they do evaluations. These usually cost between $50-$150. Depending on the appraiser, you might receive an email document with the artist details and possible value, or a verbal evaluation. This is great because once you know the name of the artist, Google will be your best friend! I believe that the investment is definitely worth it, after you have exhausted all of your possible sources. If money is not a challenge, then I would go directly for this evaluation! Good luck, all the best!

RJA

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread