david583

Jul 9, 2012
Woodstock ,VT
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX , Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tune-up's

I'm fairly new to MDing but it been about three years since I've started and I am hooked. I have always bought used MDs and I now have two DFXs and a M6 and I'm currently looking for a Excalibur II . My question is- I've read about people sending their machines into whites for "tune-ups" , is this something that should be done periodically , are there different levels of service and finally what does it cost roughly .? Thanks in advance and HH!

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been using White's detectors for over 35 years and I've never had to send on in for a "Tune up". I've only had one that needed to be sent in for repair. Most of the time when you hear of someone sending a detector in for a "tune up" it's usually another brand that needs to be repaired but the owner doesn't want to fess up to the fact that there's something wrong with it. That would be like bad mouthing the manufacturer or brand. I'm sure some will argue the point but TMHO.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your not having any problems with it then its fine, only time you need to send it in for a tune up is if you notice a problem. Even if you notice a problem alot of times its just a bad coil or something you might be able to fix yourself, there's no need to send the detector in if its just a bad coil. HH

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are finding all metals with either of your machines and if there are no ODD things that happen and if the meters seem to be working correctly(good depth values, correct #'s for found metal type) and if there are no erratic signals(usually a coil wire or at times a bad coil) then your detector('s) do not need to go in for service/tuneup, IMO.
.........................63bkpkr

Shipping cost depends on where you are at
General service with no major parts starts ~$45 though that is a vague thought/memory

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Once upon a time, long, long ago, detectors actually used vacuum tubes. Vacuum tubes could, and would, lose efficiency over time, so it was not uncommon to "tune up" a detector by replacing old tubes. With the advent of transistors, it was no longer necessary to change tubes after many hours of operation. However, capacitors could still become brittle and leak, so again, it wasn't uncommon to send a detector in to the manufacturer for a "tune up", where the circuits were tested and bad capacitors (or caps) were replaced. It just didn't need to be done as often as for vacuum tubes. Then came integrated circuits (IC circuits), these circuits were much smaller and more efficient than previous designs. This meant they could operate with much lower power requirements. Lower power means a lot less heat, so the circuits last much, much longer, and are easier to manufacture to fairly close tolerances. Finally, today's detectors are using microcircuits, just like your computer. With very low power requirements, and built in voltage regulators, the power supplied to these very efficient circuits is clean and stable. There is virtually no reason to send a detector in to the manufacturer, except in the case of some kind of failure, such as the display screen losing pixels, or a solder joint breaking, or corrosion of some kind occurring. However, at least with White's detectors, when you send a detector in for any reason, they give it a full test and replace any components that are out of tolerance. When the unit is returned, it usually works much better than before, therefore the term "tune up" is still applied.
If you have a very old, tube type detector, it is more than likely going to need service. If you have a detector that is more than 20 years old, you might consider sending it in to have the circuits checked. Anything newer, if it is working, likely doesn't need any attention, unless, of course, somebody has been messing with the potentiometers...

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
white's 50.00 shipping both ways... 55 dollars an hour... 5900 came back better than new ....tony e lee at Electronic prospecting out of Chicago
he's the best

liftloop

ArizFlash

Sep 19, 2008
North Central WA
Detector(s) used
Whites - V3 i , MXT Pro, XLT, IDX
Fisher F70, Teknetics Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
David:

I recently sent in my XLT and IDX to White's. If you send yours in be sure to send in ALL your coils. I purchased both of these detectors back in 1999 and used them a lot since. Both had some minor issues. On the XLT the LCD screen would read correctly but everything else worked or so I thought. On the IDX the speaker had very limited output but other than that it seemed to work fine. Once they got to White's it was a whole different story. The XLT had the LCD panel replaced, the upper POD, new internal connectors and seals. The IDX had new internal connectors, new speakers, black sand circuit repairs and some other minor items. However both detectors required replacement of the coils. The 950 coils on both were bad, the null setting had changed over the years. This was surprising since I very seldom used the 950 on either machine. Also my 5.3 Black Max and 800 Precision Scan coils were bad and replaced. White's charged $54 labor for each detector plus the parts. The replacement price for each of the 4 coils was between $20 and $25. The XLT total price with return shipping was $124 and the IDX total charge was $95.

When the detectors were returned the XLT worked like new. The IDX worked better than new. White's charged $54 labor for each detector plus the parts. The XLT total price with return shipping was $124 and the IDX total charge was $95. So for $220 plus $25 to ship them to White's I got two like new detectors with 4 new coils. I think I got a great deal. Connie in White's service department is a great person.

Long story short - I'm very glad I sent them in to Whites.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes so it coast a little
but you own the best and it was handled by the best you don't have three pod switches and a computer board like some brands
you have a work of art a programmable marvel in the detecting world.....some xlt sounds a little chezzy for me but love the frequency...

OP
OP
david583

david583

Jul 9, 2012
Woodstock ,VT
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX , Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the info every one ! Arizflash that was the info I was looking for , thanks ! My machines are older and I was really curious if I should send them in and I think this winter I will now . Just two more questions what was the turn around time to get them back and did you use one of the service centers or go straight to headquarters Thanks I really appreciate your help ! HH !

Last edited:

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had work done at a service center and the mother ship. The service centers are staffed with knowledgeable people that have never failed to provide me with exceptional service. However, they are all multi-line dealers and can't afford to be too flexible. For example, if you have bad components on a board, the service center will replace the bad components, whereas the mother ship will simply replace the whole board. On the other hand, if turn-around time is an issue for you, the service center is going to receive, process, and return your detector faster since they are geographically closer.

ArizFlash

Sep 19, 2008
North Central WA
Detector(s) used
Whites - V3 i , MXT Pro, XLT, IDX
Fisher F70, Teknetics Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
David:

total time was two weeks from the time I mailed to the time they were delivered. Shipping was 3 days there and 4 days back. Great folks at White's in Sweet Home, Oregon.

Alan

Thanks for all the info every one ! Arizflash that was the info I was looking for , thanks ! My machines are older and I was really curious if I should send them in and I think this winter I will now . Just two more questions what was the turn around time to get them back and did you use one of the service centers or go straight to headquarters Thanks I really appreciate your help ! HH !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread