otis89

Tenderfoot
Jul 14, 2015
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got a metal detector earlier this summer. My girlfriend and I went and used it on a lot my aunt and uncle own that used to have a house on it. The house was built in 1910, so I was hoping to find some older stuff. We got there and quickly realized we didn't have all the right equipment. The soil was really tough, and we didn't have a handheld pinpointer either. We found a modern nickel and two memorial pennies. I ordered a Lesche and a Garrett Pro-Pointer a couple weeks ago. We went back out yesterday more prepared, and I found a modern nickel right off the bat. After digging a couple pieces of trash, we found a 1967 quarter. Missed silver by three years! We then spent the next several hours digging nothing but trash. Lots of nails, pieces of cans, part of a blade from a sawzall, and other random pieces of scrap metal. Before we called it a day, I wanted to search the front yard near the street. We were just about ready to leave when my cousin pulled in (His parents own the property, but he maintains it since he lives in town and they live several hours away) and asked me to help unload a wood chipper he bought. We were chatting after getting it out of his truck when my girlfriend yelled for me to come over. I was expecting a silver dime or something. I certainly wasn't expecting this beauty.

twocentobverse.jpg
twocentreverse.jpg

Yep. Not just a two cent coin, but from a year when they were winding down production of them! I definitely wasn't expecting to find a coin that predated the house by 40 years! I am definitely stoked! This is by far my best find in the short time I've had my detector. It was just sitting there a couple inches below the surface maybe 10-20 feet from the street. I can't believe it was that close to the surface. I'm definitely hitting the front yard first thing next time we go back there.

Upvote 19

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a sweet coin!, way up there on mosts bucket list, good job on yours!

Rustic

Jul 10, 2015
western MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Super coin! Congrats to you and your girlfriend, and good luck as you continue to hunt the old house.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've only found one and the date was party toasted off, great day for your oldest unexpected coin. I just love it when a find predates the site by decades and this one did just that, so it's great hunt.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome coin, still on my bucket list. Pat the ole lady on the back for me. :thumbsup:

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Congrats to your girlfriend. Don't let her outdo you get out there and find one too.......lol. Congrats to you both on a new addiction.

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice condition, better then the last five I found...Congrats brother...

Randyg12

Aug 6, 2014
Northridge, Ca
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's on my wish list! I love old empty lots. I've been working a lot on and off across the street from an old court house. Looks like the silver was cherry picked but they left me some goodies. Got a gold ring, 3 Indians, 1 buffalo, and a couple of wheats the first day. Last trip was a buffalo and a thimble. Place is loaded with nails and dirt like concrete. Been using my 5" coil and a small prospectors pick. I just know they left me some silver:laughing7: long story short keep pounding your lot removing anything that doesn't grunt iron. Great find! :thumbsup:

mack0238

May 10, 2015
Rochester, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ahhhhh.... such a cool coin. I watched my friend dig a 2-cent, but have never pulled one from the ground myself....:)

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great recovery, congratulations.

mack0238

May 10, 2015
Rochester, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot to say that I wish MY wife would dig up a 2-cent piece. Your girlfriend will forever understand this hobby. Way to go!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the great find! At less than 900K made, it's certainly a better date. Hopefully that front yard will yield some more beauties like that one!

-- Jeff --

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lots of nice 2 cent coins this year....great job

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They get rarer as the years go up. The 1864 was the most common. Getting one in the 1870s is a nice score. As someone said above not a whole lot minted that year. Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread