Two ladies found in a wind storm. 1902 V Nickel and 1916 Mercury Dime.

rodo717

Greenie
Mar 6, 2015
Arizona
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I came home from work yesterday and went to the park. The wind was really blowing (gusts up to 65 mph). As I was getting hit by the wind in the park, I found a lot of nothing but pull tabs, until one wasn't.

About 1 inch down, I found a 1902 V Nickel. Not deep. It was right next to a newly planted tree. The dirt that was dug up for the tree must have been hiding that nice lady. A few feet away, I found my second keeper for the day. A 1916 Mercury dime. Unfortunately I scraped her face with my digger....dang. Damaged but silver nonetheless!

Whenever I find silver, my wife makes me an ice cream shake. I am going to get fatter now.

Update in order to answer questions about if there is a mint mark. I took a look and the coin is very worn. I took a few pictures, I also used a magnifying glass. There is something there but I can't tell what it is. It appears too wore to know for sure. It would have been nice to see a "D".

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 87
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 103
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 86
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 62
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    465.8 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Upvote 15
Sweet----is there a D mintmark on the reverse of the merc :icon_thumleft:

Nice coin recoveries! Congratualtions! :occasion14:

Great finds!!

Congrats, I thought mercury was a man?..trans maybe?

Nice coins. I'm with Digging 440. Check that coin for a D mint mark.

IS THERE A D MINT MARK? Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa I bet there is, that would be so cool! That V Nic is in great shape!
Congrats!
Your killing all of us with the suspense of what mint it is?

If that's a "D" on the reverse - You have a rare coin. "Sorry, that scratch isn't going to help though"

Foil Finder - That's lady Liberty on the Merc - the wings on her head imply "free thought". Called a Merc as many people confused her with Mercury "messenger of the Roman Gods"

WTG on the finds. My first "older" coin was a 1902 V. I was ecstatic lol. Yours is in very good shape for an old nickel. Mine was toasted to the point I almost couldn't get a date.:icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back