Two nice Mercs and a crooked D - thoughts?

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Two nice Merc's and a crooked 'D' - thoughts?

I picked up a handful of really nice Merc's today, got a few better dates and a few better condition coins. Attached are a couple of pic's of 3 different coins. Got a 1916 that's really nice, a 1917-S that's also nice and a 1938-D that's pretty decent but has a crooked D mintmark. In one of the pic's there's a fourth coin just to compare the crooked D to what I think is a regular D. I'm not an expert at all on these but does any know if the crooked D is common? Also any thoughts on condition / value on the 1916 and 1917-S would be appreciated (I haven't even gone to eBay to check yet). I'm not interested in parting with them but I only paid $1.31 for the Merc's so I'm pretty solid on the deal. Got quite a few mint marked teens and twenties and AU or better '40's.

Thanks for looking and for opinions. Under the microscope I thought the 1917-S had a repunched mintmark but it was just a play from the light.

Attachments

• IMG_1011.JPG
    IMG_1011.JPG
    846.1 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1015.JPG
    IMG_1015.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1013.JPG
    IMG_1013.JPG
    979.7 KB · Views: 133

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Twitch: may I suggest that if you really enjoy this hobby, pick up a new 2015-edition of (or prior years used version) of the R.S.Yeoman's "Red Book". It will help with most of the questions you have, and very enjoyable reading into the history of US coinage., how to grade coins, current values by grade. HH & good luck in the hobby of coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread