Two UK treasure hunters sentenced for stealing Viking-era coins

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
https://www.foxnews.com/world/two-uk-treasure-hunters-sentenced-for-stealing-viking-era-coins

By Louis Casiano | Fox News

Two amateur treasure hunters were sentenced Friday to lengthy prison terms for stealing millions of dollars worth of 1,100-year-old coins. The coins date back to the period when the Anglo-Saxons were battling Vikings for control of England.

British metal detectorists George Powell, 38, and Layton Davies, 51, dug up the 300 coins along with gold and silver jewelry in 2015 on farmland in central England but never reported it. That reporting is a legal requirement.

Prosecutor Kevin Hegarty said the coins were estimated to be worth $3.9 million to $15.4 million.

AP19325567844772.jpg
This undated handout photo provided by the British Museum shows a gold ring from the ninth century which was part of a million-dollar Viking hoard that metal detectorists George Powell and Layton Davies have been convicted of stealing. (British Museum via AP)

The archaeological wonders are believed to have been buried by a member of the Viking army that was being pushed across England by Saxon forces.

It “represents a nationally important assemblage created at the very point England was forming and becoming a nation with a single identity under the vision of (King) Alfred the Grea,” Hegarty said.

In a Worcester Crown Court, Powell was sentenced to 10 years for the theft and Davis was given more than eight years.

Judge Nicholas Cartwright said had the pair reported the find, they would have received a third to half of its value.

AP19325567829919.jpg
Two amateur British treasure-hunters, George Powell and Layton Davies have been imprisoned for stealing a hoard of 1,100-year-old Anglo-Saxon coins and jewelry valued at millions of dollars. Experts say the hoard, much of which is still missing, could shed new light on a period when Saxons were battling Vikings for control of England. (British Museum via AP)

"You could not have done worse than 500,000 pounds each,” he said. "But you wanted more."

Both men instead tried selling the coins through antique dealers. Some of the jewelry and some 30 coins have been recovered.

Powell’s lawyer, James Tucker, described the coins as a temptation that became a curse. He said his client “wishes he had never found the treasure.” Two other men were convicted with helping to conceal the treasure.

Samanthy

Apr 22, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White‘s Sierra Madre
White‘s TM–600
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
British law strikes again! Murders and rapists get five or six years ! They don’t like to inconvenience the criminals too much

Last edited:

Madmox

Mar 26, 2014
A third to a half.... I thought they needed to be paid out at market value. At a third to a half it’s all but theft. At market value, ok.... but selling at a mandatory discount.... SMH. Anything for the crown, right?

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
British Laws are pretty clear, so these guys know the consequences.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
British Laws are pretty clear, so these guys know the consequences.

Yep, just like everyone here is required to pay taxes on their finds and they know the consequences if the IRS comes knocking.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A third to a half.... I thought they needed to be paid out at market value. At a third to a half it’s all but theft. At market value, ok.... but selling at a mandatory discount.... SMH. Anything for the crown, right?

The standard is market value with half going to the land owner, and half to the finder.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who's Enger?

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im glad I wasnt with them I might be in prison right along side them Government lays claim to everything .Even in the US even your yard isnt really yours or your land some laws people dont have a clue to the overreach..I wouldnt want to steal anything but wouldnt want to give it away either....jsut thinking out loud I would do the right thing, wouldnt I LOL

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Should have reported a small portion of it and stashed the rest for a rainy day ,,, Trying to off loads of Viking coins and jewelry will usually attract unwanted attention from my experience.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread