Unakite?

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent the last week in Lancaster Co, VA along the Rappahonnock river area visiting family for Christmas and was hoping to find some unique rocks and minerals while there...well there are no rocks...its a coastal plains region that is mostly sand, silt and clay... but I did find a few things I found interesting. I think this is Unakite (please correct me if you think it is something else), it is found in VA but much further west in the blue ridge mountain area so how it got here is a guess, probably a large piece of driveway gravel or landscape material. Found it in our yard after leaf raking. I have a couple more to post shortly. Streak is white, no reaction to HCL, hardness is 5-6ish for dark area of the rock between 6 and 7 for the light green area and the same for the pink K feldspar, Thx

unakite.jpg

unakite4.jpg

unakite2.jpg

unakite3.jpg

Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Could very well be, though the gray portion throws me off a little. I've found some really similar stuff in western Wyoming. Not sure of the criteria to be considered unakite, but nice specimen regardless.
Jim

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Metamorphic granite, IMHO, not enough epidote to call it unakite.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread