Uncle Henry folding knife

Boonieguy

Jun 28, 2012
north west Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think electrolysis will get this functional ?
Found in the local park lagoon that was drained this spring . Along with a pocket full of crusty zinc penny's . ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1437174339.149808.jpg

Upvote 2

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't think electrolysis will get it functional, my experience with pocket knives I found metal detecting shows that the rust on the blade is not just on the surface but eats into the metal. You could try though, good luck and nice find.

Aussie

Nov 2, 2009
Looks pretty far gone, but me would spray it down and soak it in wd40 or something similar just to open it up. I'd be happy with that find. Congrats.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would sure give it a try. I still see some shine from the blade, so it should clean up nice and may even open.It really depends on condition of the hinge pin where the blade is attached.As Coinman said, most knives are not good candidates for this treatment, as the thin blades are usually "one" with the rest of the body....but this one looks a bit better than most. Maybe a stainless blade?

OP
OP
B

Boonieguy

Jun 28, 2012
north west Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's a stainless blade . The lagoon sure made the coins look bad . Just want to get it functional to throw in my tractor maybe .

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I think it's a stainless blade . The lagoon sure made the coins look bad . Just want to get it functional to throw in my tractor maybe .

Good look, you could try it. There certainly is a chance you could get it working.

OP
OP
B

Boonieguy

Jun 28, 2012
north west Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It didn't survive the restoration phase . Sand blasted it at work and for the most part it looked great . Except for the corrosion on the sides of the blade down near the pivot .
The blade separated in the bad spot when I tried to open it up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread