US State Quarter that appears to be silver but I’m sure it’s not so what is it

JB McMUFF

Greenie
Mar 3, 2019
Outer Banks NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
7D365B2C-57BC-465E-9901-98BEC9E92C6B.jpeg
So I found this quarter in a roll last week. When I opened the roll I thought it was silver at first bc of the silver edges bc it pops when it’s with a bunch of clads. It’s a 1999-D New Jersey state quarter. I’m a collector and know and own silver state quarters that I’ve found in circulation from change to coin rolls. I know if it’s silver it will be an S mint Mark but this is an D mint mark. I tried a different site yesterday but didn’t have much luck on identifying it. I did find something about Experimental planchets in 1999 that brings in thousands of dollars but I’m not sure bc they also say that it was experimental bc of the Sacagawea dollar and those quarters have a gold look to it but I found a video on YouTube where a guy that had one like mine but for a different state saying they are worth a bit of money and they only made a few and the big guys from the press were given these and took them home so not many out there. So I’m lost and have no clue and I’m guessing it’s a alloyed state quarter and obviously experimental and the reason I knew it wasn’t silver because of the drop test I know the sound of a silver coin I own over a hundred silver American coins. Sorry to bug you all with this but hopefully someone will know what this coin truly is because I live in a small town and don’t have any experts or coin shops. My other post from last night got solved quick so that made me want to post this.

Upvote 3

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe you can only buy these in silver with an s mintmark. Yours is a d mint.

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe you can only buy these in silver with an s mintmark. Yours is a d mint.

This is correct. The silver proofs are minted in San Fran, and have S mintmarks.

Only thing I can think of is your D quarter was overstamped, at least on the sides, with the exterior nickle-alloy. Enough to cover that copper layer we all hate to see.

It's interesting for sure. Definitely test it, in case I'm wrong.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weight is correct. It could possibly be an error coin, wrong planchet. Easy test: flip it on a wood surface and see if it "rings" or goes "thud".

dingode

Mar 28, 2007
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a Georgia quarter that was like that and I kept it on the window ledge in the kitchen. I always meant to post it and when I finally remembered to, I found my kids or my wife had spent it. :(

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive seen some of the newer quarters appear to look that way.

OP
OP
J

JB McMUFF

Greenie
Mar 3, 2019
Outer Banks NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly what I was saying an just replied back.. it looks silver but it’s not silver so supposedly it’s a rare coin maybe alloy like Canadian quarters supposedly they were experimental in 99 only a few were made and managed to get out because they were given to the main people like I guess the guys in the Suits lol the big guys idk

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of these were silver plated as well by private companies for state quarter sets. They show up all the time. Don't put much faith in youtube videos, there is so much misinformation on there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread