Using a Fisher Gold Bug on the Beach?!?!?

TxMike

Mar 6, 2005
Columbus, Tx
Detector(s) used
White's
Fisher
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I picked up an old damaged Fisher Gold Bug for little money with one idea in mind - using it on the Texas beaches as a cheap - not heartbreaking if it gets stolen out of my truck - detector to keep around. Gold fields are not really a big thing around here but we have a nice long coastline.

It is the old school original model running at 19khz. Since it was designed for highly mineralized soil, I wonder how it will fair on salt water beaches. Of course, it is not submersible or even splash resistant so I am thinking dry/wet sand only.

Anyone have any experience running this type of machine on the beach? Curious minds want to know.........

Upvote 1

detectorcowboy

Nov 30, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800, & Fisher CZ3D
I picked up an old damaged Fisher Gold Bug for little money with one idea in mind - using it on the Texas beaches as a cheap - not heartbreaking if it gets stolen out of my truck - detector to keep around. Gold fields are not really a big thing around here but we have a nice long coastline.

It is the old school original model running at 19khz. Since it was designed for highly mineralized soil, I wonder how it will fair on salt water beaches. Of course, it is not submersible or even splash resistant so I am thinking dry/wet sand only.

Anyone have any experience running this type of machine on the beach? Curious minds want to know.........
It should work,.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

How did that Gold Bug work for you on the beach?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goldbug does not work well on saltwater beaches, it is a single freq (19khz) detector. It will work good above the high tide line, but has very little discrimination. It will work good on fresh water beaches, but keep in mind it is not waterproof and saltwater beaches have salt mist in the air.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I tried the Equinox 800, Gold field I program on the beach and it was hopeless. However, I was in wet sand and all the salt mineralization prob contributed to the poor performance. Of course, it is a multifreq machine but, off hand, don't know frequencies used. Have to try on dry....

FYI, Had wife's diamond tennis bracelet and the Equinox 800 w 15" coil running Beach I didn't give a response unless it was touching the coil. In Gold Field I, the 800 detected the bracelet about 6-8" away. Interested because 2 different women told me they lost their gold bracelets (1 with diamonds) walking a rather deserted section of beach! I have already hunted that section for 6-8 hrs, only to find out I couldn't detect the gold bracelets any ways with my current machine and settings. [Luckily, I did find a Tiffany ring values at $1,200 on that section of beach so not too upset.]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread