Value?

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey all, wicka here! :hello:

So I have a question. Anyone have any clue on this coins grade? Or it's value? (is it more then a normal war nickel?)
I know the pictures aren't the best, took em on the iPhone. :\

image-896763366.jpg

image-4226327143.jpg

I put the two that are in normal shape next to it. I swear this coin is practically au. The top stairs are still there. Please add feedback!
Thanks a lot,
Wicka!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dihren

Jun 13, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently went to a coin show, and bought a war nickel with the mintmark P on it, in the same condition for a dollar. The silver value is $1.58. Probably what the one on the bottom right is worth too. Not sure about the bottom left. Do you have a Red Book for grading coins?

OP
OP
Wickaboag

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
I recently went to a coin show, and bought a war nickel with the mintmark P on it, in the same condition for a dollar. The silver value is $1.58. Probably what the one on the bottom right is worth too. Not sure about the bottom left. Do you have a Red Book for grading coins?

Actually.. Good point, I do :P Thanks a lot for the insight and story :]
Wicka :cool:

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all, wicka here! :hello:

So I have a question. Anyone have any clue on this coins grade? Or it's value? (is it more then a normal war nickel?)
I know the pictures aren't the best, took em on the iPhone. :\

View attachment 663602

View attachment 663603

I put the two that are in normal shape next to it. I swear this coin is practically au. The top stairs are still there. Please add feedback!
Thanks a lot,
Wicka!

A war nickel in this shape is a little bit more than the normal. Full Steps are what I believe you are talking about. If indeed there are full steps, each step is clearly defined and runs
from one end to the other, they you might have something a little more special.

MS 64FS = $50.40
MS 65FS = $98.75
MS 66FS = $350.00

These prices are for the Philadelphia Mint. Denver and Frisco are considerably less than priced above.
Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Wickaboag

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
A war nickel in this shape is a little bit more than the normal. Full Steps are what I believe you are talking about. If indeed there are full steps, each step is clearly defined and runs
from one end to the other, they you might have something a little more special.

MS 64FS = $50.40
MS 65FS = $98.75
MS 66FS = $350.00

These prices are for the Philadelphia Mint. Denver and Frisco are considerably less than priced above.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tip, I don't have a magnifying glass, but the top steps are clearly visible to the eye, except I did pull it from circulation, and it has some marks on it. Thanks for the info!!! really appreciate it!
Wicka :cool:

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How can you tell if a coin has been dipped? I don't know squat about cleaning coins. All I have heard is that if you clean it it ruins the value? So this means it must somehow damage the coin? How can you tell???.

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cleaning a coin removes patina that most collectors find appealing. While some cleaning methods are abrasive, it is generally the "whizzed" appearance of a cleaned coin that turns off most collectors.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice war nickel! i have no idea on grade or value, but it is definately a keeper!!
hh
buff

OP
OP
Wickaboag

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
nice war nickel! i have no idea on grade or value, but it is definately a keeper!!
hh
buff

All War Nickels are keepers there Buffy :D
(Hoping for another one tomorrow, going to get a Nickel box before I start dimes in the AM)
Thanks for commenting on the coin :) Am sure glad to have it, even though, unsure on grade/value.
Wicka

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wicka, i would personally keep that one AU war nickel in your personal collection unless you're offered something great(doubtful, sorry for the letdown), there's really not a huge market for war nickels, remember, they are only 35% silver.
i told myself that every 90%er i find, i won't sell them, so i am pretty solid with keeping my purer coins... 40% halves are a little different, i'll sell them when i need cash, but always try to hold off. war nickels, i won't sell those either. good luck with your dimes tomorrow, hit em up hard and clean out them vaults!
hh
buff

(Hoping for another one tomorrow, going to get a Nickel box before I start dimes in the AM)
Thanks for commenting on the coin :) Am sure glad to have it, even though, unsure on grade/value.
Wicka

OP
OP
Wickaboag

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
wicka, i would personally keep that one AU war nickel in your personal collection unless you're offered something great(doubtful, sorry for the letdown), there's really not a huge market for war nickels, remember, they are only 35% silver.
i told myself that every 90%er i find, i won't sell them, so i am pretty solid with keeping my purer coins... 40% halves are a little different, i'll sell them when i need cash, but always try to hold off. war nickels, i won't sell those either. good luck with your dimes tomorrow, hit em up hard and clean out them vaults!
hh
buff

Once I run to the LCS and get some of them things to put coins in... all my coin roll hunting finds will be in my personal collection :D :D
I'd take 10$ for it? :D Any offers! Lol, just playing, I don't want to sell any of my coins, (my coins for a reason!)
I'll do my best, hoping for 7,500 silver rosies tomorrow!
Wicka

Dihren

Jun 13, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wickaboag said:
Wicka

Whenever I go to a coin show nearby my house, I usually take a coin with me, and then man is always very happy to tell its value or answer any questions is I have about it. Try that if you are ever nears coin shop.

OP
OP
Wickaboag

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a local coin store but no coin shows :o That'd be cool :)
I'll give it a go, I need some 2x2's anyways. :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread