Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool find! - Updated with new pics

See post #13 for updated pics.

I found this last weekend at the old house site where I found a few IHPs and a nickel trifecta. When I dug it I thought it was just an old piece of junk metal. It wasn't until I got home that I noticed it had some designs on it.

I posted it on the what is it forum tonight and got a response right away. (Thank you Jewelerguy! :thumbsup:)

It's rough, but thanks to Jewelerguy I'm pretty sure this is an 1840 era militia plate. See bottom pic for what it should look like.

I hate it's in such rough condition. It's probably too far gone but I wish I could be somewhat flattened/restored.

Front
ML8px5B.jpg

Backside
AU7xjHX.jpg

Here are the pics jewelerguy provided. I found the description online that goes with the pics.
Myvz40G.jpg

From a North Carolina estate - 1840 era dropped wing eagle stamped brass Militia "Panel Plate". These plates were commonly carried over from an earlier era, and worn by Confederates. This example came out of the estate with a number of Confederate pieces.

Last edited:
Upvote 9

P@tch

Apr 9, 2013
mooresville,nc
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer 2, etrac, deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an awesome find bladerunner. When I look through my junk it's still just junk. Congratulations

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Killer BR killer!

There are people that could restore that plate, or get it as good as it could be anyway.

Congrats on a really nice find. You have been doing well this year.

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer BR killer!

There are people that could restore that plate, or get it as good as it could be anyway.

he'sright.jpg

Congrats Bladerunner! That is an awesome find. Sub 8-)

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Killer BR killer!

Thanks Tom! I wonder what something like that may cost.

I also wanted to add, that I found that description on Pinterest so it's not like it came from a reliable source. Then again, everything on the interwebs is true, right? :laughing7:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Tom! I wonder what something like that may cost.

I also wanted to add, that I found that description on Pinterest so it's not like it came from a reliable source. Then again, everything on the interwebs is true, right? :laughing7:

I can assume that it would cost $100 or more, HOWEVER, that is a killer little piece of history, and would look awesome in a little frame. You are not likely to find another one of those. It has a lot of detail on it, I believe that they would heat and straighten it right out.

If I were you... I'd reach out to TNetter: "Bill D. (Va.)". He recently had a sword guard restored, and it looks killer. He could give you specifics about cost.

Again: Congrats on a really nice find.

And, yes, if it is on the internet, it is TRUE!

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Great find. They definitely are much more rare than US plates. Here is one I dug on the VA Peninsula on the outskirts of a union Camp

Attachments

• image-1226217942.jpg
    image-1226217942.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 60
OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well that didn't take long. I shipped the plate off on Wednesday and this weekend Roland sent me pics of the progress. In my discussions with him about doing the restoration, I indicated that I wanted a minimal restore and to keep it original as possible. He agreed to take it to a point he felt comfortable with (since his name would be associated with it) and then let me decide if I wanted to take it any further. I realize the plate is probably not worth what it cost me, but I'll probably never find another so I decided to do it.

Based on the pics below I have decided to stop the restoration at this point. Considering the condition it was dug, I think it turned out pretty amazing!

Here is what I sent him...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread