Victorian Scarf Slide

Knipper

Jan 21, 2005
Rochester, Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Minelab Excalibur II Troy Shadow X-5
Took a break today to do some metal detecting. I went to a very old park in a nearby little town that goes back to the 1850's. The park has been hunted to death, but I just wanted to get out of the shop for a while. Under a bush I got a signal and this turned up from about 6 inches deep. I don't know for certain what it is, but I believe it is a scarf slide. I think the scarf ends were pulled through the bar in the back and then out the bottom circular part. This would have kept the scarf in place and added some decoration. I'm guessing this goes back to the 1880's or 90's. I also found a 1919-D Merc, but I think I like the scarf slide better!

Attachments

• Scaf slide1.jpg
    Scaf slide1.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 109
Upvote 12

Metro Retro

Apr 8, 2013
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's very elegant, and looks like it may be half of a buckle. It looks like it could be a piece of Danecraft and likely circa 40's or so.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, very elegant..I agree! I love finding that old stuff..the craftsmanship, the attention to detail...often imitated but never replicated...great save...thanks for sharing. ..ddf

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice looking scarf slide & congrats on rescuing it and the 1919 D Merc. - thanks for sharing your pictures and wish you many more while out dirt fishing.

Texas ED

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread