Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
This thread started because the OP linked to a fake item on a site that willingly admits that all of their stories are fake. Can we simply agree that World News Daily, The ONION, and other similar websites are not legitimate sources of information?

I will not enter the argument of how far south or west the Vikings made it before the end of the midevel warming period which, among other reasons, ended their exploration of North America.

I will, however, point out fake news items, from fake news sites, when someone else does not do so before me.

May this thread now end.

Time for coffee. And probably something else.

OP
OP
digger460

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
This thread started because the OP linked to a fake item on a site that willingly admits that all of their stories are fake. Can we simply agree that World News Daily, The ONION, and other similar websites are not legitimate sources of information?

I will not enter the argument of how far south or west the Vikings made it before the end of the midevel warming period which, among other reasons, ended their exploration of North America.

I will, however, point out fake news items, from fake news sites, when someone else does not do so before me.

May this thread now end.

And I will certainly pay more attention to sources:coffee2::occasion14:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

May this thread now end.

ok. :evil6:

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Image of artifacts look familiar?

2rqzm79.jpg

Viking-age silver button and balance scales found | ScienceNordic

We all know that Columbus discovered America, just get over any factual information.

Last edited:

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't think Columbus discovered America if America was already occupied...oh, the natives were not human, I'd forgotten. :tongue3:

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Muddy, your input and participation on the Forum is much respected. I like reading your inputs on various topics. But do a Wikipedia search on the Kensington stone, and you will see that it has been dismissed as a hoax. Start with that, and follow the links, and you will see.
=====================================================
Ummm,,
ANYTHING WIKI has been dismissed as counter-info by me anymore.
Back when it was good,,,and real information was dessiminated I was a fan.
But since anyone can edit it,,, it has become a quagmire of bulls**t.
Just my .02

Coach Stack

Apr 5, 2016
Colorado Springs, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
AT Pro Pointer
Kelllyco Vulcan 360
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Search "Copper Culture" on Youtube...sit back and enjoy the entertainment.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
Indeed, anyone can edit an entry, just as anyone can flag an entry for being lacking sufficient or valid references to support the claims in said entry. The entry on the Kensington stone cites 40 something references as justification for the statements made in it. Frankly, I wish that more people justified extraordinary theories with multiple citations.

Is your issue with Wikipedia in general, the wiki entry on the Kensington stone in particular, or the sources cited as proof? Have you checked any of those references? Did you find any in error? If so, did you mention this on the talk page for the article?

While it's perfectly true that anyone can edit a wiki entry, don't think that there's no oversight of any sort. Not every entry is 100% correct (particularly when it's a subjective topic by nature, as we may have different opinions of what's truly correct in such cases), but the signal-to-noise ratio on Wikipedia is nearly always significantly higher than it is on blogs, Internet forums, and other social media where no justification is required and peer review is impossible.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Indeed, anyone can edit an entry, just as anyone can flag an entry for being lacking sufficient or valid references to support the claims in said entry. The entry on the Kensington stone cites 40 something references as justification for the statements made in it. Frankly, I wish that more people justified extraordinary theories with multiple citations.

Is your issue with Wikipedia in general, the wiki entry on the Kensington stone in particular, or the sources cited as proof? Have you checked any of those references? Did you find any in error? If so, did you mention this on the talk page for the article?

While it's perfectly true that anyone can edit a wiki entry, don't think that there's no oversight of any sort. Not every entry is 100% correct (particularly when it's a subjective topic by nature, as we may have different opinions of what's truly correct in such cases), but the signal-to-noise ratio on Wikipedia is nearly always significantly higher than it is on blogs, Internet forums, and other social media where no justification is required and peer review is impossible.

Well said Dave. When I read hitndahed's comment, I was trying to formulate a response. But you did a good job.

I would add the following: The part of the wiki article on the kensington stone, WHEN IT COMES TO ALLEGATIONS of not authentic, are NOT modern accusations/observations . The observations/claims they are citing (about non-authenticity) DATE BACK to when it was first found over 100 yrs. ago. Which was before the invention of wiki.

So while something inaccurate can be on wiki, well SO TOO can something be inaccurate in an encyclopedia, or any link that anyone can send me. Those claims of "inaccurate" are never-ending finger-pointing, by anyone who doesn't like the evidence/statements shown to them.

Also I would add that if *not* just wiki where this info on the stone appears. You can do a google word search on "kensington stone" + "fraud" (or "scam" or whatever), and find multiple references of what evidence points that direction. Not just wiki.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread