Virgin Confederate Kentucky Cavalry Camp

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is one of my all-time best finds. Not because of just one single find, but many really good finds have come out of here. It was a virgin Confederate Kentucky Cavalry camp. It literally was like X on the map, cause it was the spot I had marked when I got permission and first day on this property I walked straight into the camp. There were so many signals and the first day I carried out all the relics I could possibly manage to carry. I found this spot in 2015 and the previous year found a much smaller campsite on another landowner's property. This campsite was just across the fence. Funny thing is, with research, this was not the camps I was looking for and still looking for those. However, I'm pretty sure I know where those are at but unfortunately not able to attain permission yet. The most rewarding part of this find was the site itself and being the first person to find out about this place since the Civil War. Only modern finds were the occasional shotgun shell or rifle casing. Even the old roads are perfectly preserved in this woods. Took this photo a few years ago (actually this is the photo used when it made it into Western & Eastern Treasures) and have found more since and still have boxes of relics to get electrolysis finished up on and properly catalogued. I'll have to get an updated picture when I get a chance. Not been out much lately, so figured I would post this on here.
AAA.jpg

Upvote 22

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wormslicer, You were Blessed beyond measure to walk into this virgin, undisturbed Confetrit' camp. These are some Fantastic saves and finds. I really like the oval CS Plate, but they are All Great Artifacts. Well Done, and let us know when you get permission to the other camp locations. Continued Success to you. Truly a Blast from the Past. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Gambrinus

Dec 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Worm-Slicer that is a great discovery that you made. Is that a double barrel percussion pistol below the CS buckle? It sure looks like it is.
And is it brass?

Last edited:

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well there 's a daydream....you would not be able to slap the smile off my face.

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've done an excellent job recovering and restoring these terrific relics. Congrats on it all! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Worm-Slicer

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Worm-Slicer that is a great discovery that you made. Is that a double barrel percussion pistol below the CS buckle? It sure looks like it is.
And is it brass?
Thanks,I appreciate it. Yep,it's a brass boot pistol. Confederate cavalry loved to tuck those in their belt. Here's a pic of it by itself.
10.jpg

OP
OP
Worm-Slicer

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wormslicer, You were Blessed beyond measure to walk into this virgin, undisturbed Confetrit' camp. These are some Fantastic saves and finds. I really like the oval CS Plate, but they are All Great Artifacts. Well Done, and let us know when you get permission to the other camp locations. Continued Success to you. Truly a Blast from the Past. Thanks for sharing this with us.
Thanks, I appreciate it. Yes, I do feel very fortunate to have located this camp. Always interesting to see what they used and lost. Yep, if I'm lucky enough to get permission on those properties and those camps are there, I'll for sure post it here.

OP
OP
Worm-Slicer

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You've done an excellent job recovering and restoring these terrific relics. Congrats on it all! :occasion14:
Thanks, I appreciate it. I love all the relics, no matter if it's rare or common. Together they can tell a story of history and especially wonderful when it's unknown history.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks, I appreciate it. I love all the relics, no matter if it's rare or common. Together they can tell a story of history and especially wonderful when it's unknown history.

Well said Worm-Slicer :icon_thumright: Love it all especially the degree of electrolysis you put into it.Nice job!!

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm sitting here grinning just seeing you find it... I can't imagine!

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks,I appreciate it. Yep,it's a brass boot pistol. Confederate cavalry loved to tuck those in their belt. Here's a pic of it by itself.
View attachment 1826303

That is just too cool! I have never seen a double barrel boot pistol before. I would be overjoyed to dig that. A big congratulations on finding that camp!

Steve

OP
OP
Worm-Slicer

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well said Worm-Slicer :icon_thumright: Love it all especially the degree of electrolysis you put into it.Nice job!!
Thanks! Yep, I love doing electrolysis. It can be time-consuming to do it properly, but lots of amazing iron artifacts that look great when preserved properly.

OP
OP
Worm-Slicer

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is just too cool! I have never seen a double barrel boot pistol before. I would be overjoyed to dig that. A big congratulations on finding that camp!

Steve
Hi, Steve. Yep, it was a nice dig. I dug that on July 4th 2015. Went to the camp after a family cookout and remember that day well cause soon as I left camp it came a horrendous thunderstorm and I luckily avoided being out in the middle of the woods in the middle of nowhere.lol With a relic like the double barrel boot pistol, I often wonder what battles or skirmishes it was probably used in and if it even killed a few yankees. Things like that is what I love about relic hunting, if only our relics could talk.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread