Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found this token a while back at a demo site in Houston. Can't seem to find any good info on it. Did see where one other was found for 800 brick by a member here several years ago. Anyone know anything on this one?

057.jpg

Forgot....28mm Dia, and back is blank.

Last edited:

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Neat! The usual use for this type of token was that a customer went to the brick manufacturing company's office and purchased so many brick. The money changed hands there and the customer got this check which he then took to the brickyard to get his load of brick. The customer paid the loader with the token and the brickyard person turned it back in to the office. That completed the brickyard's accounting such that 1000 brick were gone from the inventory. The advantage of this system was that the workers in the brickyard did not have to handle the company's money.

Just a few days ago, I purchased a yard of topsoil from a nursery. They gave me a slip of paper which performed the same function - I had to give it to the guy running the loader when he loaded the topsoil.

You might be able to peruse old Houston-area directories (I'd guess 1910 plus or minus a decade or so) to find out the full name of the W & T brick manufacturing company.

John in the Great 208

OP
OP
L

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the info on how it worked. Wasn't sure about that. Can't seem to find any others anywhere except the one for 800 brick that I mentioned.

Thanks guys.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Some thoughts 'outside the box' (as expressed by others):
a. 800 and 1000 Brick is an address; as in Brick Street
b If 'brick' designated a quantity, why isn't the word plural: bricks?
c. Could W&T represent Washington Territory?
d. How about Wine and Tobacco?
e. Or Weights and Tares?
Don.........

OP
OP
L

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah, thought about plural. But Some people use the term 800 brick....no s. Kinda like 100 head of cattle.

I don't know. Thanks for looking. Gonna go in the "unidentified" pile for now.

OP
OP
L

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree, but can't seem to find anything on it.

texasvarmit

Oct 6, 2006
Texas and Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT gold, Fisher CZ5 quicksilver, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this token a while back at a demo site in Houston. Can't seem to find any good info on it. Did see where one other was found for 800 brick by a member here several years ago. Anyone know anything on this one?

View attachment 1161524

Forgot....28mm Dia, and back is blank.

Nice find. I can tell you a few things, one is the type face and style of the phrase "GOOD FOR" on your token is similar to the ones used on many tokens used in the area of San Antonio Texas circa 1890-1899, many date around 1892. that would mean your token likely dates circa 1892.

I see you have already listed your token on tokencatalog.com and that is good. there are other similar tokens known from Texas.

linky: 1100 / BRICK / D.B. CO. (all incuse) (TC-86380) Dallas, Texas (Dallas County), U.S.A.

good for 1100 brick, made by dallas Engraving company in 1892.

also one that is good for one load of clay from Texas Pressed brick company, Dallas, Texas, also dates 1892:

Display Token Records - All States

OP
OP
L

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, Thanks so much for the info. That places it a little older than I had figured. Been a hard one to find info on.

Again, thanks for the reply.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread