2016012113145200.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 96
Upvote 0

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm in AZ with 24 hour fever. I get out almost every week...but I've caught myself running my -30 through my blue bowl even a third time...5 gallons worth each. I know your pain, Utah is frozen in the winter too, stay strong and be ready for that spring fever yellow fever

While it may be frozen in Utah there are still rivers that flow all year. Even here in northern Utah. I had come to the conclusion that the only way to get in some gold mining in would be to take a really long drive south. But after posting that the F.S. had shut there gates, Kevin in Colorado said he thought A.F. canyon flowed all year and to try lower down below gates. Been out twice since. Got some decent color each time. Really helped scratch the itch. Haven't been able to get out last 3 weeks and am really chomping at the bit to get back in water, but being way too busy at work and being mr mom I just haven't been able to do so. But going to cross my fingers for this week.

wtetro

Jan 6, 2013
Aridzona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I lived up in Clearfield and would go to the green river at horseshoe bend and hit American Fork Canyon every chance I got. I just couldn't get up to high. AF Canyon generally flows year round, but you might have to break some ice here and there. When you have time, hit up the Green River at horseshoe bend by vernal. I usually did well there. Kevin, do you still have the American Fork Canyon map I sent you

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Horse shoe bend is on my list for this year. What time of the year would you suggest spring early summer? I'm thinking it would be to hot mid summer. Figured that would be fun trip. Gold, garnets, and dinosaurs fossils. How far up a.f. did you usually go? I have stock 4x4 chev its a crew cab long bed, so I am slightly restricted to how far up I can get. But I can get pretty far up. I don't mind working the truck a little and putting on some extra tree branch pinstripes ; ) I have a 1980 cj5 I bought when I was 16 (20 something years ago) its been in a coma for a couple of years. Going to try really hard to get it up and running again this spring. See if I can get up to very top where mines are. If not, Snow bird resort has a lift called the Peruvian chair lift you can take over mineral basin. Thought that would be easy quick way over mountains. Wtetro if you're ever in area and want to go up and revisit a.f. canyon send me a p.m.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I lived up in Clearfield and would go to the green river at horseshoe bend and hit American Fork Canyon every chance I got. I just couldn't get up to high. AF Canyon generally flows year round, but you might have to break some ice here and there. When you have time, hit up the Green River at horseshoe bend by vernal. I usually did well there. Kevin, do you still have the American Fork Canyon map I sent you

Yes sir I do and I stopped there too. Amazing spot. So quiet and majestic. Found gold of course...sure is fine stuff there.

Also, here's me at Horseshoe Bend:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1453874783.722053.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1453874846.844813.jpg

Last edited:

AlaskaGold

Nov 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I spent years in school in northern Utah, if I would have know I could find gold there I would never have graduated! One of these days I'm gonna get back there to see some old stomping grounds, guess I'll pack a pan and sluice when I head down that way!

wtetro

Jan 6, 2013
Aridzona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin, if thats the green river, that looks like the exact spot I used to go to! I do miss Utah at times, but there are nuggets here and I just cant let those go!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin, if thats the green river, that looks like the exact spot I used to go to! I do miss Utah at times, but there are nuggets here and I just cant let those go!

Yup, the tip of Horseshoe Bend on the Green River south of Vernal a bit.

wtetro

Jan 6, 2013
Aridzona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Those tailings you're standing on, are they by a huge hole, I think those might of been some of mine

OP
OP
W

Waynos

May 28, 2015
Keene New Hampshire
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Propointer
Lesche Sampson T shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds good to me I have a camper in Twin Mountain if anyone wants to overnight .

Let me know if you have room and if you need some cash for your troubles so I can make sure I bring enough with me.
I may have 1 person with me depending on if he has heart surgery this month or not

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread