Want to make money from household metals.

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
I go to a few thrift stores run across brass statues and things of the like that I could get for $.25 weight a pound or two my question is what grade of brass would they consider these items and what money could you expect to get? Say the price is $1.50 for yellow brass and you have 150 lbs of this house hold decorative brass what would you realistically walk away with if you took it to a scrap yard?

Jumper cables silver gold jewerlery etc are things you may find in a yard sale I am just looking for a way to know what the stuff is worth so I will be able to know what is a deal or what is not.
Buying silver is a not a problem in these places pay a quarter get 7 grams of silver or what ever the item weighs but basically that is not too difficult to figure. Any help on this would be appreciated want to make a few bucks for groceries with pocket change.

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whatever gets the job done
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm not real big into the brass market (to be honest), but in my thinking, if you can pick up scrap brass at a significant discount to the going scrap price.... then there's money to be made. Just stop by a local joint and ask. Bring a sample of what you have and see what they say.

The best... and easiest money to be made, is in the copper. There's a bunch of it floating around that you can stumble on for free or pretty much free.

Take for instance my latest haul... Went to a thrift store the other day... Sitting on the shelf were 3 rolls of #12 THHN stranded wire. Each roll had 500 ft and looked unused. The heft in these rolls tops 10 lbs each... prolly closer to 15lbs. What did I pay?

$2/roll

Not bad for 6 bucks considering that copper scrap is in the ballfield of $4/lb

hobo finds

Mar 15, 2010
For brass by me I am averageing $1.43 a pound. Even if you mess up and it's not brass at .25 a pound you can't go wrong

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread