Wanted to share an extraordinary relic I found with its history! SIMPLY ASTOUNDING!!!

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thought everyone who lives in this area might find this fascinating. The US buckle is for size reference only. The relic wasn't found today but it was identified. This is either a horse harness or a carriage mount I found relic hunting. It was finally identified as belonging to the Carter family of Virginia. I'm sure everyone has heard of Carter's Grove in Williamsburg. What's even more fascinating is General Robert E. Lee's mother was a Carter! So, in a way, this relic is connected to the most beloved and revered general the South has ever known! The dog is called a Talbot, a classic hunting dog of its time and the heraldic way of describing its posture is "sejant". It is holding a shield under its dexter (right) paw and the shield (or escutcheon) has a cart wheel or Catherine wheel depicted on it. The rope like item the dog sat on is called the torse and it represents the twisted ribbons used to cover the joint between the knights armoured helmet and the crest that sat on top of it and is sometimes called a wreath. The back has 8 prongs which attached to leather. For all I know, Robert E. Lee could have been riding in the carriage this item was secured too when it was lost! How about that!

Attachments

• Carter Seal 1.jpg
    Carter Seal 1.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 276
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 279
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
Upvote 23

Trooper733

Apr 3, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites DFX, Whites TRX, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Very Nice find and story. I think it would have been banner worthy also if a recent find.....

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding find and research!!! Cheers!!!!

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP deus; MI-6 pinpointer, TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator Piranha
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very, very nice. Thanks for sharing the story. Its always exciting to learn the individual histroy of the relics we find. Great piece of histroy.

OP
OP
Devonrex

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that is an INCREDIBLE piece with an even more INCREDIBLE connection. Thanks for sharing this history with us
Thanks Ahab! I finally got confirmation from an authority on crests in England. He ID'd another crest I had found with a fox as belonging to the Dent family of Maryland. The fact that General Lee's mother was a Carter makes this one of the great finds of my lifetime!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And your point is.:icon_scratch:

My point was pretty clear, its a type of Livery found on a button, as well as a leather decor & my was found in Endland, what is your point?

Last edited:

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear you Abe

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My point was pretty clear, its a type of Livery found on a button, as well as a leather decor & my was found in Endland, what is your point?
Yes I know it is, I can't understand why you quoted my post. The Talbot hound is found a lot on livery buttons, so why quote my post. or are you trying to say I'm wrong.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Extraordinary find!

Has this piece been professionally restored as it shows no signs of any patina or ground effects?

The mounting barbs on the back showing a spacing between them and the body, indicate the material it was mounted to deteriorated away leaving the shield in its once mounted condition.

Fantastic find and a great connection to our past.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I know it is, I can't understand why you quoted my post. The Talbot hound is found a lot on livery buttons, so why quote my post. or are you trying to say I'm wrong.

Not sure what your issue is, I quoted your post because you understood the button connection.

THing4CSA

Aug 20, 2006
Leesburg, VA
Detector(s) used
I use an XP-Deus and have a Whites DFX as a back-up/loaner detector.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great item! Here I thought that finding a US Belt buckle was amazing! Wow that is just outstanding!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread