Waves reveal new wreck at Fort Morgan, Alabama

doowron21

Mar 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Late Assistance

I know this response is coming a bit late but I stumbled across this thread while doing some research on a different topic related to Fort Morgan's Civil War history. The site indicated in the discussion here is very close to the site of the Civil War Blockade Runner the Ivanhoe. The Ivanhoe was trying to sneak into the bay late one night past Union blockade ships and run aground very close to this area. Confederate troops did everything they could to unload the stranded ship before Union ships could spot it, and once it was unloaded, they set fire to it. It is very possible this is the ship which you have identified here.

More information can be found on the Ivanhoe simply by googling it. I am not sure if this helps, but I did not want to pass up any chance someone could go and look at a piece of history here.

Regards,

John

bay pirate

Aug 26, 2012
Mobile Bay
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro
Thanks for sharing John! The storms that we have had here over the last few weeks maybe taking its toll on her. Her beams are breaking up will soon be lost, or at least, some ones dining room table. It's amazing how governments only want to preserve the gold but hide behind preserving history

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread