We Lost An Entire Beach

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever had this happen to you.....you arrive at a random place to discover that it is loaded with targets but that you're ill-equipped to hunt it effectively so you leave thinking that you'll return there someday better equipped. Now, several years later you're trying to remember where that place was and you can't seem to find it again. Try as we have Mike and I just can't remember where that little beach was at? Must be getting old, I guess. :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
On the day we hunted that beach we had been touring up north all week, lost count of the number of places we happened onto and hunted and that was one of the beaches we hit on the way back, that way back just sort of being a, "leisurely at random route." :laughing7:

dude I know what you mean, just out having a good time and when you least expect it, that is when it happens. I would say give it some time and you will find it, but if it is anything like my experience I can only say do not give up, hope for the best and expect the worst.

Kind Regards,

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I remember is that it was the fall of the year, one morning we woke up in camp to 27 degrees. On the day we encountered that beach we were on our way home, having left the U.P. early due to bad weather and hoping to get below it. "Somewhere" along the coast of Lake Michigan we found this little spit of a rocky beach, the wind was blowing in on that day so the waves were pounding us about, no wet suits on that trip and just waders, also hardwird 10" on the CZ-20 and a hardwired WOT coil on the Excal that we couldn't maneuver around and between the rocks. The second problem was that we only had our large scoops which didn't suit well for all of the rocks and crevices where all of the targets were laying. BUT, there were targets "everywhere" though we had to walk away from the vast majority of them. :BangHead:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Thats treasure for you, always right behind you, yet two steps in front of you. LOL

What I remember is that it was the fall of the year, one morning we woke up in camp to 27 degrees. On the day we encountered that beach we were on our way home, having left the U.P. early due to bad weather and hoping to get below it. "Somewhere" along the coast of Lake Michigan we found this little spit of a rocky beach, the wind was blowing in on that day so the waves were pounding us about, no wet suits on that trip and just waders, also hardwird 10" on the CZ-20 and a hardwired WOT coil on the Excal that we couldn't maneuver around and between the rocks. The second problem was that we only had our large scoops which didn't suit well for all of the rocks and crevices where all of the targets were laying. BUT, there were targets "everywhere" though we had to walk away from the vast majority of them. :BangHead:

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminds me of a story a friend told me. He is a certified scuba instructor, and owns a B&B in Alexander Bay in the Thousand Islands here in N.Y. He and a bunch of friends were partying one weekend. He always told me NEVER drink and dive. They went out and anchored by one of the islands and proceeded to dive. He found several old bottles which he brought up and they made it to the mantle in his B&B. Several years later a gent came in, spotted the bottles and asked if he knew what they were. His reply was nope, not a clue. The gent, an antique dealer said they were very early bottles, ( I was told the year but forgot ), and were worth between 10 to 15 thousand dollars each. Remember the drinking ? Nobody on that trip to the island remembers where it was, but they remember the bottom was littered with them. Big oops !

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can't lose a beach if you logged it and its GPS coordinates in your notebook. TTC

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't lose a beach if you logged it and its GPS coordinates in your notebook. TTC

Right, but at the time we were returning to the region frequently, had no idea that I would soon be leaving for Florida to take care of the parents. Now I'm back and we want to finnd that beach again.....:laughing7: We'll eventually find it again.....

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When you "lost the beach", I thought you meant as in sand going out to sea for the winter. Had that situation in NC. 40 degrees, windy, miserable conditions. But..... I found four rings that day on the coral underbase! Area was the skinny beach between Duck and Corolla, NC. TTC

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever had this happen to you.....you arrive at a random place to discover that it is loaded with targets but that you're ill-equipped to hunt it effectively so you leave thinking that you'll return there someday better equipped. Now, several years later you're trying to remember where that place was and you can't seem to find it again. Try as we have Mike and I just can't remember where that little beach was at? Must be getting old, I guess. :icon_scratch:

Only in the Woods.
But
I forget more everyday.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread