What could it be in the swamp ?

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep and it all but dries up in the summer time.

The roadway that they put in place keeps it marshy and wet for much longer. Wet areas are common on almost all the islands in the area but his road is the main cause for the retention and ponding affect.

When Nolan refused to allow heavy equipment to be rolled across his land they went back and rebuilt the road. The roadway is actually present in your picture but had some extensive reworking late 50's, if you didnt know where to look or how to see it you would not know it from your picture.
What are you basing the claim that the swamp was not there before a road was built? I cannot find any source at all that mentions the swamp not being there or only existing after a road was built.

All the early works on the money pit got stuff to the island by boat. I have not seen any reference to a road before Duffield built the causeway. How did they make a road with no heavy equipment on the island.

Please back up this claim with a source/s

This is the earliest photo I can find from 1930

I cannot see a road on this photo either

e74e3961ac857b557651f92f951ba0d3.jpg

Last edited:

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is something they'd like to find in there.
Here is a "leaked" photo from the season 7 digs...

img_0794[1].jpg

And you can trust this to be the truth... I got it from a very reliable source...

tellin%u00252Ba%u00252Blie.jpg

burlbark

Mar 5, 2011
What are you basing the claim that the swamp was not there before a road was built? I cannot find any source at all that mentions the swamp not being there or only existing after a road was built.

All the early works on the money pit got stuff to the island by boat. I have not seen any reference to a road before Duffield built the causeway. How did they make a road with no heavy equipment on the island.

Please back up this claim with a source/s

This is the earliest photo I can find from 1930

I cannot see a road on this photo either

View attachment 1715760

You can Identify a swampy area in that picture?..... All your doing is showing that there was no swamp until the road was made.

You also are stating that I said there was no swamp until the road was built. There was and is a recurring wet area that was seasonal just like most of the islands of the area. I see chaparral and a small trees in the area of the present mud lake in your 1930 photo.

This is not a 40ft deep mud bog capable of concealing a ship. In fact when Nolan started to claim there was a ship there or a shaft they probed and found the soft soil to be 8ft deep. Nolan did everything he could to try and get a buck out of this for years and succeeded because he was a sneaky smart shrewd business man. This wet area on the island was partially Nolans and he drained it in 1969 and supposedly found a ships mast. This was the first searcher exploration of the swamp that I have read about.

The current lake/mud pit there in the spring season is a direct result of road base rock and compaction.

Dont you remember the stumps in the swamp they where playing in the mud with? Those trees died there after the water backed up from the road and drainage was no longer seasonal.

You can see it your way... I am fine with that and not that it matters.

I dont see a swamp in any of the early pictures. And everyone says "its" man made. I agree, the pond that is currently there with standing water is man made.

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can Identify a swampy area in that picture?..... All your doing is showing that there was no swamp until the road was made.

You also are stating that I said there was no swamp until the road was built. There was and is a recurring wet area that was seasonal just like most of the islands of the area. I see chaparral and a small trees in the area of the present mud lake in your 1930 photo.

This is not a 40ft deep mud bog capable of concealing a ship. In fact when Nolan started to claim there was a ship there or a shaft they probed and found the soft soil to be 8ft deep. Nolan did everything he could to try and get a buck out of this for years and succeeded because he was a sneaky smart shrewd business man. This wet area on the island was partially Nolans and he drained it in 1969 and supposedly found a ships mast. This was the first searcher exploration of the swamp that I have read about.

The current lake/mud pit there in the spring season is a direct result of road base rock and compaction.

Dont you remember the stumps in the swamp they where playing in the mud with? Those trees died there after the water backed up from the road and drainage was no longer seasonal.

You can see it your way... I am fine with that and not that it matters.

I dont see a swamp in any of the early pictures. And everyone says "its" man made. I agree, the pond that is currently there with standing water is man made.
This is nothing to do with my way and your way... You are claiming the swamp did not exist before Dunfeilds road. No one has ever claimed that which I have seen. You are the first. I am asking for your source. (By the way that is a very low res picture taken through a plane window but if you zoom in the swamp is easy to see). However that is not the point. All sources I have seen just accept the swamp has been there since the pit was found. You are claiming it does not exist until the road was built. What is the source of this claim?

This would imply that no one else ever noticed there was no swamp before Dunfeild built his road...

(This has NOTHING to do with the claim of a large boat in the swamp which I think is complete rubbish)

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
What I would like to find out is if the swamp existed in 1756 when the first survey was taken and before the money pit was discovered. If it did not exist, then it would be safe to speculate that the flooding of the money pit created the swamp.

burlbark

Mar 5, 2011
What I would like to find out is if the swamp existed in 1756 when the first survey was taken and before the money pit was discovered. If it did not exist, then it would be safe to speculate that the flooding of the money pit created the swamp.

So you must believe that there is an outside force pumping water from see level to the money pit where it then drains into the swamp?

Now that being said there are occurrences where fresh water will sit on top of salt water before it combines and tidal action could cause a pumping but the elevation change would be very minimal as the densities are very similar. The wet area is the lowest land portion of the island and the money pit is nearly the highest but they are all above seal level.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread