What happened to these proofs?

silvernd

Oct 15, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Any ideas? I found these in a single box, there were a few others that I tossed back before I even realized they were proofs. The box also had another 15-20 normal proofs (not pictured). My only thought is that these were heated at some point to get that bluish grey look to them. One has the appearance of a slight raised bubble on the back (not pictured).

The 2006 is provided just for color comparison sake.

Attachments

• bluegrayproofs.jpeg
    bluegrayproofs.jpeg
    63.1 KB · Views: 620
Upvote 0

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if i am reading your post right you had those 7 plus a few more you threw back and up to 20 more for a total of about 30 proofs in 1 box? :o :o :o :o :o. what do you mean you threw them back? in a coin counter or back in the box??

OP
OP
S

silvernd

Oct 15, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
ckrakowski said:
if i am reading your post right you had those 7 plus a few more you threw back and up to 20 more for a total of about 30 proofs in 1 box? :o :o :o :o :o. what do you mean you threw them back? in a coin counter or back in the box??

Yep. Just counted. There are the 7 that were grey/blue, 15 normal ones covering a wide range of years, and then at least a few more of the burned ones that I saw, but tossed in the bottom of the bag before I caught that they were all proofs as well. That bag now has the rejects of two boxes, so I don't think its worth digging through again just for a few blackened proofs. I do plan on grabbing them if i catch them going into the counter. At least they're a cool story. Same box had 9 40%s as well. Pretty fun to open.

@Sean - The whole time I was pulling them I was thinking the same thing. Kind of morbid. Just was wondering if anyone had any experience to see whether that is indeed what they would look like after a fire.

sack0silver

Feb 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
are they really worth anything other than the 50c face? toss a normal proof into a fire for a bit, see what happens ;D

OP
OP
S

silvernd

Oct 15, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
sack0silver said:
are they really worth anything other than the 50c face? toss a normal proof into a fire for a bit, see what happens ;D

Nope, just trying to get a full set of Kennedy's from CRH. Thanks to this box I'm 2/3 of the way there now.

sack0silver

Feb 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
ye my last batch had 30-40 shiny proofs in it, i kept them just because it seems like a shame to set them free. Ill probably buy something with them so the cashier can buy them out of the register and they can be out of circulation for 10 years.

penman77

Dec 11, 2011
Eastern North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sack0silver said:
ye my last batch had 30-40 shiny proofs in it, i kept them just because it seems like a shame to set them free. Ill probably buy something with them so the cashier can buy them out of the register and they can be out of circulation for 10 years.

I like to keep proofs. If I get tired of them they will be fun to leave as tips or spend on small items. Same with the gold plated halves.

sack0silver

Feb 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Just stopped into a 7/11 and got a pack of smokes, paid with some of those proofs. The clerks kept insisting they were 1 dollar silver coins, took me a few minutes to convince them they were half dollars, it says it on the damn coin!! :BangHead: ("but they are shinny enough to be silver i guess, i just dont know what to do with them") They bought them out of the drawer as I walked out. :laughing9: So hopefully my evil plan works and we will never have to see these coins in our rolls again.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
I really hate when someone states the obvious, so forgive me for doing it.

Some modern S-mint proofs are 90% Ag. You're sure they're clad right?

OP
OP
S

silvernd

Oct 15, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
madwest said:
I really hate when someone states the obvious, so forgive me for doing it.

Some modern S-mint proofs are 90% Ag. You're sure they're clad right?

Yep. All 11.2 on the scale with black and rusty looking clad edge.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
Usually it is the 100+ year old coins, but also coins like these that make you ache to know their story.

Who owned them?
Were they in a fire?
How did the fire start?
Who found them?
How did they get in a MWR?
Does Brinks cull silver?
If they were on a 80mph train leaving from Chattanooga when would they pass the Baltimore Express?

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
Coin counting machines are dark and scary places where bad "things" are done to coins.
They come in AU-BU and the come out much less.

It is an old story, told with regret
"the saddest words of tongue or pen,
speak about what might have been!"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread