What is a $1000.00 confederate note worth?

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when i was a kid my grandfather from time to time would go through his coin collection with me and i remeber we had a confederate note that was a thousand dollars not sure now what its worth now but about 18 years ago one easter my mother got a hold of it and said that the gentlman that looked at it said it wasn't really worth much i'm looking for a varification about that anyone have any idea's about this?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
although I can't quote a price , and it would have to be authenticated first any way.

in all honesty Confederate or union, civil war currency is not worth much.

I suppose it could be said, what the market will bare, but it comes down to how bad someone wants it.

OP
OP
V

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm very surprised with everything else of artifacts civil war related sometimes pays a good price, well i feel somewhat better my mother and i at that time didn't get along that great and ok i apreciate the comeback.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Post a pic and we might be able to give you a price range-- assuming it's real. Most confederate bills are very common, in fact they most often retail for less than their face value. Chances are that the bill you have retails for between $5 and $30 depending on the type and condition of the piece. Thousands, if not millions, of notes were reproduced in the 1960's on parchment paper, which is yellowish to brown in color, and thicker than regular paper. These replicas were (and still are today) sold in gift shops throughout the South, and, are worthless. That said, hopefully yours is an exception.
Don........

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can assure you this was no replica. but unfortunatley have not seen the note for a very long time and not even sure if its still in the family?

katieadkins

Oct 5, 2012
Mackaydon said:
Post a pic and we might be able to give you a price range-- assuming it's real. Most confederate bills are very common, in fact they most often retail for less than their face value. Chances are that the bill you have retails for between $5 and $30 depending on the type and condition of the piece. Thousands, if not millions, of notes were reproduced in the 1960's on parchment paper, which is yellowish to brown in color, and thicker than regular paper. These replicas were (and still are today) sold in gift shops throughout the South, and, are worthless. That said, hopefully yours is an exception.
Don........

What about a CSA $500 bond or Treasury note at seven per cent? Richmond, va signed Aug 7, 1863 by ?Robert Tyler . I googled it but haven't found this one.

Katie 'plays with dirt' Adkins

DnD

Aug 24, 2012
First Coast, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX, Nox800, Excal, Explorer, CZ, AT, Sea Hunter, DP Pulse & Diver, Surf PI, BHID, and BH
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
As Mack* mentioned, the confederate notes need to be authenticated and appraised. Case and point, my 1864 $100 note was assessed, and although it is in great condition, similar notes only sell between $30-80. I figure I just have to find the "right" southern store and it'll still be spendable for face value:thumbsup:

Attachments

• 0511092019.jpg
    0511092019.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 206

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread