Mount Vernon, Washington
Detector(s) used
Angus Mackirk Foreman
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer
Gold Hog Piglet highbanker
Home made slate miller table
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So as a beginner gold prospector I have 1/2" and 1/8" classifying screens for pre sluicing. I also have used a kitchen sieve (unknown mesh size, lol) to classify concentrates for panning. If I were going to add a couple more to my arsenal, what would you all suggest I add next?

Upvote 0

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reducing the amount of material you have to pack in a 5 gallon bucket is a good reason for sure! Another good reason is to break up the material so it is fluid when it enters the water.
Kind of just depends as usual.

If you look at the pictures of the old time hydraulic miners, they placed narrow wooden planks on top of the bedrock/tailings and utilized wheelbarrows to move pay gravel.
That seems like a good way to easily transport gravel if the terrain permits. If nothing else it would be a good way to transport 5 gallon buckets.
Wheelbarrow.jpg

When I have a fear of losing gold, I try to do some testing so I can either fix the situation or stop worrying about it.
After much worry and testing, I don't fret too much about it anymore - it seems pretty dang easy to catch gold and doesn't take any fancy high tech mats either.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread