Whats a good age to start a kid detecting?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I swing the big machine. One grandson has a pinpointer, the other a digger. 7 and 9 years old.

Then they trade for the next hole. They keep whatever they dig, except evil gold and silver. G'Pa gets that.

I've watched them trade (after the hunt) several classic bottle caps for a 9mm bullet, a busted toy for 2 quarters and so on.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All 18 years old are adult and do not want to hang around dear old daddy and get their hands dirty. Do you tend to ask me if I over think everything to upset me? Which you did. That is not nice, and I will complaint to Treasure_Hunter and Jeff of Pa.

Asking you if you over thinking something is not an insult and breaks no rules. Stop using Jeff and I as a threat, if you feel a post breaks rules report it, if nothing happens it means mods do not agree with the post report, if we do agree we will address it...

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Scrappy if the interest is there and they think it's cool well enjoy the time together. I really believe that there is no age restrictions as things happen through osmosis a lot of times. Even if the interest fades later the memory will last forever for your passion will be shared and they'll realize that your excitement is there also when they share their finds with you no matter what age. I remember getting a light scolding for sneaking the GoldMaster out and going up to the school yard for a hunt, it took both hands to hold it up and to swing it back and forth, I still remember finding a 1936 penny and the excitement out weighed the scolding. :)

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Asking you if you over thinking something is not an insult and breaks no rules. Stop using Jeff and I as a threat, if you feel a post breaks rules report it, if nothing happens it means mods do not agree with the post report, if we do agree we will address it...
My response was not a threat, insults, but a response that was very funny. The author had send me a private message stating that they were sorry and mean no harm. My response was for all the members here that I am a senior with serious mental and emotional problems that get upset very easy. Except for you, all the members enjoy my comments and believe that some comments were funny, and they also learn about my problems, and they had learn to not upset me. I mention about many subjects that I over think about many things. It is so sad that you did not understand my problems and my subjects and you did not enjoy my sense of humor and my funny comments. Check my history, and you will notice that I have many LIKE comments pertaining to my serious comments and more for my funny comments. If there are more funny members then me, let me know. Good luck and good hunting.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I admire all of the gumption that you guys have in responding to this post, y'all got it wrong.

It is interesting that all of us got the same subject wrong. Please enlighten us, and give up the great answer. Good hunting and good luck.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is interesting that all of us got the same subject wrong. Please enlighten us, and give up the great answer. Good hunting and good luck.

I would guess that 75% of the members here on Tnet have started posts with the phrase

"I just retired, and would like to start a new hobby, nothing like spending hours on the beach...."
or
"I had a cheap Radio Shack detector as a kid..."
or
A friend of mine at work detects all the time, and he finds all sorts of stuff, so I figure...."

Its charming and loving and all to share the hobby with kids, especially if you like them to begin with, but IMO, they make for terrible hunting buddies. They gotta go #2, or they're hungry, or they're thirsty, or they didn't find treasure, they get bored, you cant share a beer with them....the list goes on.

And, Mr. Samuel, you seem to be easily offended by innocuous comments, and may find it difficult to filter through the humor of several members here on Tnet...count me as one who likes to stir the pot with amusing takes on subjects like this.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Actually you should start much earlier at about one week old. Hang your detectors in the nursery that way when she first focus her eyes it will be one of the first things she sees. Speak to the baby regularly. Say things like, "Look what daddy found!" Also keep a pin pointer in the crib. Make sure its new and clean because baby will be teething on it. On another note, never take advice from a clown.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Actually you should start much earlier at about one week old. Hang your detectors in the nursery that way when she first focus her eyes it will be one of the first things she sees. Speak to the baby regularly. Say things like, "Look what daddy found!" Also keep a pin pointer in the crib. Make sure its new and clean because baby will be teething on it. On another note, never take advice from a clown.

Those mobile thingys that hang from the ceiling what would be on them? I really think that your way of thinking has the makings of having the first child prodigy. Remember child prodigies are rare, and in some domains there are no child prodigies at all. Prodigiousness in childhood does not always predict adult eminence.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey thx for the replies everyone. As soon as I secure funding I think I'll go get her a detector (from Santa). Question is what kind...hmmm

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 5-1/2 year old and she thinks I'm cool still. That ain't going to last long so I want to get her interested in detecting sooner than later. Question is what age, from those experienced, is a good age to start them on their own machine. I'm more interested in ages than actual machines at this time.

Thanks and happy hunting

Steve

Most members here like Tesoro detectors, Check the detector thread here for opinions. Also check: 4 Tesoros that you like. I am going to purchase a Vaquero next year. Terry is a expert who can help you to make your decision. Best of luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread