When does it make sense to get an ebay store??

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Currently I buy stuff at thrift stores and hopefully auctions when it stops snowing. So the cost of my items is very reasonable. Is there a dollar amount of average sales? Ebay gives you 50 free a month. And almost every month they give me 1000 free listings. I am not capable of creating that many new listings because most everything is unique. I do however resent that those with a store always rant above me.

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It isn't worth opening an eBay store unless you sell a certain dollar amount per month, yes. There is a calculator that basically breaks down if it is worth opening a store or not. Fee Illustrator The only real advantage I saw of a store is that you pay a smaller percentage in fees, but you also lose your 50 free auctions per month. Using the calculator will help you decide if its worthwhile or not for you to get a store. I'm fairly certain unless you sell over a hundred items a month (at more than just a few bucks), it isn't worth doing. For example, if you sell 100 items per month at $15 shipped per item, it still isn't worth opening a store.

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
I started my store when I was laid off last year. I got the base level which is cheap and they give, I think about 150 free auction or bin per month. And of course fees are a little cheaper. The 20 bucks a month is cheap compared to the savings, and other bennies like better standing on searches. After rising to a certain level, I think they call it power seller, my postal charges through eBay are about 20-30% less. That's the best part. It really adds up.

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a tax concern when you "open" and ebay store. Wouldn't that nail you as having a trade or business and potentially subject you to filing Sch C for a sole proprieter? If so, you could be subject to Self-employment taxes if in net income.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless you plan on listing a minimum of several hundred different items each and every month then don't bother. I don't remember the last time I paid for a listing unless I had it in listed in multiple categories.

OP
OP
D

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The calculator was pretty cool. But since its listed on ebay I'm suspicious of how honest it is. I don't pay to list unless I do the 10 days or two categories but according to that calculator there would be a small amount of savings. I've had surprising success with the two category technique.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree it's really about volume, but if you have the volume there is advantages to having a store.

Atlanta Mi Dave

Feb 19, 2009
Atlanta, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark and Tesoro Cibola Minelab 505, Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as eBay keeps giving all the free listings, I see no reason whatsoever to open a store. Sort of like McDonald's and others with the $1.00 menu, they probably wish they never started it, but would lose customers like me(A senior) if they dropped it. I will never pay another eBay listing, if they quit all the free listings and only give you 50, that's all we will do. If they ever drop the free 50 I will drop out completely.

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having a store also reduces your Final Value Fees

I ended up saving about $40 this month

Having a store is worth it for me

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As mjlalt referenced, its not just about volume you also have to factor in the cost of the items sold. There have been months that I have sold 10 items for $2000 and would have saved a decent amount of money if I had a store. a 6% FV fee compared to a 10% FV fee really adds up quickly.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As mjlalt referenced, its not just about volume you also have to factor in the cost of the items sold. There have been months that I have sold 10 items for $2000 and would have saved a decent amount of money if I had a store. a 6% FV fee compared to a 10% FV fee really adds up quickly.

Very true, I forgot about them dropping so low.

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Final Value Fee reduction differs from category to category. I sell a lot of computer equipment and its final value fee is only 4%!

The final value fees varies from 4% - 9% with a store

The breakdown is on this page
eBay Stores fees and terms

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread