WHEN IS THE LAST TIME YOU PARKED YOUR CAR FOR A PENNY??

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thursday I took the DEUS and headed north of The Bronx. It was into the woods. It seems there are less of the nuisance steel bottle caps that you really have to discipline yourself not to dig. They will come in with numbers ranging from 90 to 93. The same number as a possible silver dime. They will also come in shallow, (3" or less), and the audio signal almost always ends with a pop. If it is a signal that is in the 90's and is deep, has no pop, it is an automatic dig. My second good target # of the day was a 95. It turned out to be a 1917 Mercury dime.
I'm also starting to hear something different with some signals in the high 80's. They can almost always be an aluminum screw cap. If they are shallow, they too will give off a loud pop. If the target appears deeper than 5 inches, it doesn't end in a pop, it is worth investigating. At least that is what I'm finding. Yesterday's brass targets ended up being keys, lock parts, a brass spoon bowl, and some copper scrap. All of these target were in the high 80's.
Now the Parking Meter Face Plate came in deep and rang up at 95. I didn't realize until I got it home that it is for a circa 1950's Parking Meter. I was born in 1950 and my family didn't have a car. I didn't own my own car until 1972. By then I believe the parking meters in NYC were all 25 cents.
I had never heard of a penny parking meter. The face plate I dug says, "12 minutes for a penny, 1 hour for a nickel, and 2 hours for a dime."
Kind of cool.
IMG_4038.JPG IMG_4040.JPG
IMG_4039.JPG IMG_4036.JPG

Upvote 11

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you had a productive day. Congrats on digging the Merc and the other goodies. There are woods in the Bronx?

OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you had a productive day. Congrats on digging the Merc and the other goodies. There are woods in the Bronx?
Yep,, There are a few stands of trees that are believed to be about 400 years old.
Believe it or not, I have come face to face with some deer in those woods.
Hard to believe it but we have all kinds of wildlife besides rats. lol

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job on the Merc, nice to find an old one. As for the Deus and rusty bottlecaps...it can be frustrating. I still dig a LOT of them. I usually suspect it's a cap, but the chance of finding a masked coin compels me to dig anyway. Once in a while I get rewarded with a nice old coin that has iron in the hole with it. More holes equals more treasure I suppose haha

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds ATW. I know you have a special place in your pouch for those Mercs. I also like the Chevy emblem.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet Finds! :occasion14: I have seen a few coyotes in the woods in the Bronx as well!

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what are parking meters? JK, we don't have those too often in Ok. That is some awesome things. We have deer everywhere with all the woods around here. If I had to live there I would hang out in the trees and not the buildings. Just saying I don't like big cities.......

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! Congrats! Silver is always a great find, especially a merc.
Thats quite a nice variety of goodies you dug. A parking meter plate and a Chevy emblem nice duo.

Critters pop at odd times...maybe they came to check out your detector! :D

I've seen a couple of deer while detecting at a school they were in a 20ft wide area of trees next to the school, just passing thru.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread