Where else, but in a bag, inside another, put in a BOX, not seen again!

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi,
This 1917-s Wheat Cent was found on a Federal Site, under a Passport In Time project.
I didn't find the coin, and "they" , the Feds kept it, but to me, it means more than the dollar
value to a coin collector, it says, here's a piece of history, and at the time it was lost,
was during the Depression..., one CCC worker fished into his pocket for his pocket knife, and.....
1917s.JPG

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet! Nice save. At lest it will be seen by people...hopefully.

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, and it brings back a memory for me -- it was a 1917-s wheat penny that first "proved" to me that research works... I had just read a book on metal detecting by Charles Garrett and in it he stressed how research would lead to more and better finds. Right after that I went to the local library and read a history book on my town, and found out that the old school that had burned down years ago my dad and I searched when I was little, had a second (all dirt) basketball court, further down the hillside. It was only used for a few years, as it was the girl's court and next to a hillside, so they kept falling down it according to the book.

Well in short, I went back there a few years older and much wiser after reading and subsequently researching, and while I didn't pull out any silver, I did find that 1917-s wheat penny, in pretty good condition, and it was just 20 feet or so from where my dad and I had left off searching years earlier. There was zero evidence of anything ever having been in that area, as it had been reclaimed by nature many decades before. And by the years of use of the court, that coin was lost before either of my parents were born, and my dad and I had searched right by it when I was still quite young and just learning how to metal detect.

Needless to say, those all added up to one of my favorite finds upon returning to metal detecting some years ago. That wheat penny is in a box in my safe, and while not particularly valuable monetarily, the value to me is priceless. And needless to say, that experience quickly led to much more time spent researching, and some impressive finds, with many more to come, I’m sure.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool story cactusman! Some of the earliest coins I've found when I started detecting were the wheats!

OP
OP
eyemustdigtreasure

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find, and it brings back a memory for me -- it was a 1917-s wheat penny that first "proved" to me that research works... I had just read a book on metal detecting by Charles Garrett and in it he stressed how research would lead to more and better finds. Right after that I went to the local library and read a history book on my town, and found out that the old school that had burned down years ago my dad and I searched when I was little, had a second (all dirt) basketball court, further down the hillside. It was only used for a few years, as it was the girl's court and next to a hillside, so they kept falling down it according to the book.

Well in short, I went back there a few years older and much wiser after reading and subsequently researching, and while I didn't pull out any silver, I did find that 1917-s wheat penny, in pretty good condition, and it was just 20 feet or so from where my dad and I had left off searching years earlier. There was zero evidence of anything ever having been in that area, as it had been reclaimed by nature many decades before. And by the years of use of the court, that coin was lost before either of my parents were born, and my dad and I had searched right by it when I was still quite young and just learning how to metal detect.

Needless to say, those all added up to one of my favorite finds upon returning to metal detecting some years ago. That wheat penny is in a box in my safe, and while not particularly valuable monetarily, the value to me is priceless. And needless to say, that experience quickly led to much more time spent researching, and some impressive finds, with many more to come, I’m sure.

Great story! These little copper pieces, are works of art, really, and can have special meaning attached to them...., if we knew the whole story...!
I found a bronze Chinese coin a couple years ago, that a ranch hand that land owners had, in early 1900's might have dropped - saw his picture
- so neat to look on the face of the person who lost the coin...!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find. Due to the date, chance it was lost before the Great Depression and the establishment of the CCC?

OP
OP
eyemustdigtreasure

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool find. Due to the date, chance it was lost before the Great Depression and the establishment of the CCC?

Yes, there was a homestead recorded on BLM records for that Section, and is likely there also, as my buddy, who found the coin, and I searched an a little area,
near the edge of the CCC Camp, and came up with cut nails, glass, and ceramics that is certainly MUCH older than the Depression era stuff ...! Who knows?!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think I would want to do any Passport in Time metal detector digs myself. Volunteering for some other project of theirs maybe, but not one that involves metal detecting. I like to keep my digs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread