where to coinshoot

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tony, Charles Garrett has a book called. Successful Coin Hunting that lists places that you might never think of hunting. Subjects like how to hunt an old school, where clothes lines were, etc. As for actual sites names, you need to do research or ask an old timey guy.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why at the Coin Shooting Range of coarse. Safety first. Not really, Just go any where people gather and are active. You will find coins.

Ed D.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What has worked for me is to do some research on the internet. I recently found an old football field that has never been hunted as far as I know. I asked some members of the club to help me because of the size. We found over 200 coins, a military piece and I found a really nice silver ring. Some places that I search are tot lots, parks, swimming areas, football/soccer fields, schools, churches, fairgrounds, etc. Anywhere where people converge. This is for any city or state. Have you tried the beaches in your area? I see people all the time from your area finding things at the beaches. Check with your local people and see if there are any restrictions on where to hunt. What are you looking to hunt for? Old coins or jewelry? Jewelry can be found anywhere. Old coins you will have to research for unless you know the area pretty good. Also try going into smaller towns. I like to do road trips and try new places. I love belonging to a club. You get to meet some really nice people and they can help you as well. Also this is a great site to ask questions. I hope that this helps. Keep asking questions and keep hunting. Good luck.

GTI2500

Greenie
Aug 31, 2007
Oscoda Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minlab X70
Actually just go anywhere you can.
Better where are the unproductive spots? When going up-north I stopped to detect an old playing field in Omer. I wasn't having much success, as usual. This neighbor came up and showed me many of his finds including about 20 rings. He lived across the road and had hunted that place for many years. I haven't gone back.
On the other hand I searched a small river edge park that must have been hit hundreds of times in the past and found a Barber quarter, it wasn't too deep either.
Luck may play a more important part then which detector you are using.

Just hunt, be persistent, don't get discouraged. Just think if we had today's detectors back in the 1950's.

And most of all goood luck.
researching is fun. And always ask and keep your ears open.
ALWAYS COVER YOUR HOLES, even in the deep woods or in kiddy lots.

larry b

OP
OP
T

tjs5

Dec 29, 2008
thanks guys, i realized that i am going to have to do some work and that people are not going to just give me great places to coin shoot. and i bought a book on the history of livonia and now ive discovered a bunch of great places to detect
will post finds
thanks again
tony

Atlanta Mi Dave

Feb 19, 2009
Atlanta, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark and Tesoro Cibola Minelab 505, Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If that book is called 'Footpaths to Freeways' it is a great book and should help you locate some old sites. I had that book for many years but sold it on Fee bay after moving up north. I wish that I had kept it.
HH David

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions