Where to sell mercury for gold mining?

frankyp

Aug 28, 2023
The thread title says it all. I have inherited 5lbs of triple distilled mercury to be used in gold mining. It is unopened and intact and I have no use for it.
20230826_201918.jpg

Upvote 1

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Frankyp - Where you live will have a great deal to do with what opportunities you have to sell it. Keep your address confidential - but your city and state would be very helpful.

In my opinion you're looking for gold miners - and the regulations regarding the use of mercury have become much more complex over the years.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI
Here is what the postal service says about mercury. Also you can not sell here or advertise to sell with out becoming a charter member.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
FYI
Here is what the postal service says about mercury. Also you can not sell here or advertise to sell with out becoming a charter member.
There are other shipping outfits apart from the USPS that will ship Mercury.

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I would think that triple distilled mercury is laboratory grade, not mining grade.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Interestingly, mercury is generally priced by the "flask" - 76 lbs. Why? I have no idea. The posted above who points out the mercury in question is "lab grade" appears to be on the money. Just poking around on the Internets, the price of a pound appears to generally range from $10 to $20 (it's a remarkably volatile market); however, the lab grade retails for around $250/lbs. Now, this mercury is obviously not new, and there is likely a buy/sell spread.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can sell it in many places like a chemical supplier. But being that it's already lab grade and made to be used in mercury switches that they use in industrial machinery, if you have an older mill with a boiler near you, I would talk with their boiler engineer and ask him if he has a use for it. Depending on the age of the mill, they may not have any mercury switches in use anymore, but either a chemical company or an industrial plant would be your best bet.
Look here - https://www.google.com/search?q=lab...evc&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#cobssid=s

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can sell it in many places like a chemical supplier. But being that it's already lab grade and made to be used in mercury switches that they use in industrial machinery, if you have an older mill with a boiler near you, I would talk with their boiler engineer and ask him if he has a use for it. Depending on the age of the mill, they may not have any mercury switches in use anymore, but either a chemical company or an industrial plant would be your best bet.
Look here - https://www.google.com/search?q=lab...evc&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#cobssid=s
Taking it to the Chemistry Department at a local college might also be smart to try right?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread